Chapter Fifteen: Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band

May 1967

"Did I ever tell you how handsome you look in that jacket?" Connie muttered quietly to George as the two of them looked at the album cover for the Beatles' new album; Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band.

That night was the album's launch, and to celebrate Brian had invited select journalists and photographers as well as a number of celebrity guests to his house. The band would be doing photos and a couple of short interviews before the album was previewed. In the hallway as they'd first come in, Brian had pictures up on display of the band in their colourful military uniform, and the album cover that Connie already knew was going to be iconic was her favourite shot out of all of them. She could spend hours admiring the detail of it, studying over each person featured. Her favourite figure, other than George in his orange coat, was a cut-out of their old friend Stuart, thinking that it was such a sweet touch that immortalising him in their history. Rather than get sentimental over the past though, that night was for celebration, so she focused on how handsome she thought her husband looked.

"Yes, repeatedly, you were at the photoshoot," George reminded her with a laugh, his arm wrapped around her waist as a server passed, offering them both a glass of champagne. George helped himself but Connie politely declined, leading to George frowning at her. "Are you still not drinking?"

"Nope," she shook her head, trying not to look at his alcohol too enviously. "Don't make a big deal out of it though I don't want anyone else asking and coming to conclusions,"

Connie felt George's hand tighten as he squeezed her waist. It was probably subconscious, a nervous reflex, but she liked it all the same. It was reassuring to know he supported her, despite the lifestyle change that had led to plenty of their friends asking questions neither of them enjoyed. They'd still not told anyone they were trying for a baby and it was getting trickier to excuse her new, self-imposed no-smoking-or-drinking rule. She was sick of telling people she was doing an article over the benefits of an alcohol-free lifestyle, but the two of them hoped she wouldn't have to lie anymore in the very near future.

"Alright love," George told her, taking a swig of his drink before he glanced behind him. "I should probably get in there and find the lads. You coming?"

"I've gotta wait for Ruby," she explained with a small sigh. "You know what she's like, walking into a room full of celebs is her worst nightmare, she needs her emotional support scouser to get through it,"

"Thought you were my emotional support scouser?" George asked, faking a hurt look.

"No, that's Ringo," she joked dryly, hitting his arm gently and gesturing to the door of Brian's great living room. "Now bugger off and find your band. I'll see you in a bit,"

"Right, love you," he kissed her cheek quickly as he unwrapped his arm from around her waist, heading off into the room where she could hear cheers for the arrival of the quiet Beatle.

As soon as he was gone, Connie let out a short sigh, her hands immediatel going to run through her hair until she remembered she'd mess up the neat curls she'd styled it in earlier, and considering how many photographers were at the party she didn't want to get caught with messy hair. Instead, she stroked down the skirt of her short floral dress, determined to look presentable. She was the only one of the Beatles' girls in attendance at the party, so she had to look good. Connie was only really invited because of work, there just because of the good press she could give the Beatles as well as the multitude of celebrities giving her the opportunity to broaden her connections. It was a bit of a relief that she was there out of her own merit rather than there as George's wife, because it gave her a break from hanging out with the other wives.