Chapter IV: The Failed Expulsion

Chapter IV:

Would I die as the hero or the villain? ⊰᯽⊱┈──╌❊╌──┈⊰᯽⊱

⊰᯽⊱┈──╌❊╌──┈⊰᯽⊱

"I told them I'd meet them in the trophy room at midnight for a proper duel," Malfoy said proudly, lying back in his seat, "I already told Filch I overheard some students claiming they would be there after hours. I can get Potter expelled, without ever having to leave my bed."

"Brilliant, Draco," complimented Pansy Parkinson, desperate it seems to become part of the Malfoy heir's clique.

Rosaline could only encourage her, as any minute she spent kissing up to Malfoy, was a minute less stuck to her side. She had spent the afternoon in the library with Susan, trying to make sense of their Transfiguration theory, which was incredibly difficult. It was one of those subjects were either excellent natural practical talent was required or a proclivity for mathematics, as the formulas related to changing mass, were not exactly easy.

It was the one class in which Hermione had a big advantage on Rosaline. Every other week, when the teachers would give them feedback on their progress, Hermione was first place in Transfiguration. Rosaline took it as a challenge.

She would not stop until she had mastered one of the hardest spells in the book, The Avifors Spell, which transformed all kinds of objects into birds and was the most advanced Transfiguration spell of their first year.

That evening, too excited to sleep at the prospect of his rival possibly being expelled, Malfoy suggested a séance. As Hallowe'en was upon them, he wanted to use the lifting of the Veil between the Living and the Dead to call upon his ancestors. As fascinating as Rosaline found the idea of speaking to those passed on, she was less excited to have the world of the Living filled with more crazy prejudiced Malfoys. Even if it was just for a minute or two.

However, she was intrigued by the magic and preparation it took to have a séance. So, she asked to be a part of it anyway and asked all kinds of questions. Like, do you need to have a personal connection with the deceased? A blood relation or a memory? Malfoy could not answer that for certain, although he did assume blood relations were easier. So, naturally, Rosaline wondered whether or not blood would be involved in the ritual. Malfoy had stared at her in horror, so she took that as a no.

In fact, Malfoy seemed to know as much about a séance as the average Muggle did after having watched one supernatural film about ghosts. He seemed of the assumption that a few candles, a couple of strange runes and sitting around it in a circle, waiting for the deceased to show up, was going to work.

Rosaline highly doubted it. But it did inspire in her a desire to know more and whether or not it was considered possible in the Wizarding World to contact the dead. And if so, how and what it took. It was, no doubt, ancient magic. One that you could not perform with a wand and a spell as ancient Magic often required sacrifices to work. That sort of magic needed a balancing of the scales. You got something but had to pay the price for it. She didn't think a couple of candles was going to somehow awaken their eternal slumber and summon them.