Chapter VII: The Blood of a Unicorn

Chapter VII:

The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown

⊰᯽⊱┈──╌❊╌──┈⊰᯽⊱

"Just a question, and I don't mean anything by it," said Rosaline, "but are you sure Hagrid can keep a secret?"

The others had just informed her that "Fluffy" the three-headed dog was Hagrid's and that the gamekeeper had assured them that only he and Dumbledore knew how to get past the beast. They said this somewhere in between, "we met Hagrid in the library" and "he has gotten hold of a dragon egg", which was quite the story.

"Where even did he get a dragon egg?" said Rosaline with a sigh as she was planning out her studying schedule for the next few weeks. Exams were drawing nearer, and she needed better than excellent grades if she was to officially become Professor Snape's official teaching assistant.

"He was in Hogsmeade, and won it in some card game," said Hermione with an annoyed drawl.

"There just happened to be someone with a dragon egg playing cards in Hogsmeade?" Said Rosaline, sounding very suspicious, " - and they just happened to meet Hagrid who is notorious for trying to protect and take care of those type of creatures. And not only that, but I bet Hagrid was drunk?"

"Now, Rosaline, Hagrid is not - " defended Harry immediately.

"I just find it all a bit suspicious," she said calmly, raising her hands in surrender. "It's just too much of a coincidence if you asked me. But this is actually why we need to be sure that Hagrid hasn't told anyone how to get past Fluffy. Because I know secrets tend to be revealed when alcohol is involved." She shrugged, then she thought of another argument, "Furthermore, this man with the dragon egg must've pretended to be just as passionate about magical creatures as Hagrid is. What if, in passing, Hagrid has mentioned Fluffy and how he tamed him?"

"Hagrid wouldn't do that," said Hermione fiercely, "he knows how important this is."

"Yeah," said Rosaline, rolling her eyes, "just like he knew how important it was to not tell anybody about Nicholas Flamel, but then here we are."

While the Gryffindors made an effort to try and get rid of the dragon, Rosaline was unable to help. One, because a Slytherin conspiring with a couple of Gryffindors was highly suspicious. Two, because Snape was keeping an extra eye on her since she told him about Quirrell. Like she was going to let her Head of House know what she knew. After all, things were starting to look mightily suspicious. Three, because everyone was still not over the whole "Slytherin Rose" thing and she seemed to be followed around by people wherever she went. Unable to catch a moment alone. She figured it was safer for everyone involved if she backed up a bit and let the Gryffindors figure it out themselves.