Chapter VI: The Philosopher's Stone

Chapter VI:

She always had that about her, that look of otherness, of eyes that see things much too far, and of thoughts that wander off the edge of the world

⊰᯽⊱┈──╌❊╌──┈⊰᯽⊱

The mystery around Nicholas Flamel turned out to be much more difficult to solve than Rosaline originally thought. Which meant that it was something she could really put her teeth into without being disappointed by the simplicity of the task. She had foregone asking her mother about it. She was not home much anyway, and it took some of the challenge away.

The name did not appear in Great Wizards of the Twentieth Century, or Notable Magical Names of Our Time. He was missing, too, from Important Modern Magical Discoveries and A Study of Recent Developments in Wizardry. Which led Rosaline to the conclusion, after a day or two of reading, that Nicholas Flamel was not a recent figure.

It took her, only a day more before she had solved the mystery, as she had instead gone back to the centuries before to find Flamel. Flamel was a fourteenth-century alchemist.

Now it was only a matter of finding what he could possibly have made, that was hidden in the Forbidden corridor. This answer was much easier to find.

The ancient study of alchemy is concerned with making the Philosopher's Stone, a legendary substance with astonishing powers. The Stone will transform any metal into pure gold. It also produces the Elixir of Life, which will make the drinker immortal.

There have been many reports of the Philosopher's Stone over the centuries, but the only Stone currently in existence belongs to Mr Nicholas Flamel, the noted alchemist and opera-lover. Mr Flamel, who celebrated his six hundred and sixty-fifth birthday last year, enjoys a quiet life in Devon with his wife, Perenelle (six hundred and fifty-eight).

So, Rosaline wrote Harry and Hermione letters saying they were most likely hiding the Philosopher's Stone at Hogwarts. It was small enough to fit Harry's description

She ended it with a "you're welcome – but I still don't believe Professor Snape is after it."

Speaking of Professor Snape, he had given her so much homework, she spent the next week or so, drowning in it. He seemed no longer just focused on teaching her Potions. He was now asking her to familiarise herself with the habitat of most potion ingredients, and she had to write an essay on why she thought that Squibs and Muggles could not create Potions. He had let slip a few days ago that this amount of work was not just his idea, but that he had discussed her passion and talent with the Headmaster, and figured she needed a bit more of a challenge. However, Dumbledore had one condition though, that Rosaline was allowed to say at all times the workload was getting too much or became too difficult and then they would cut back on it immediately.