Chapter 4: Jealousy

A/N: Firstly, I wanted to dedicate this chapter to halseyquinn666 for giving me beautiful feedback and for being so excited for another update! Thank you hun! 

Secondly, I went ahead and made Character Profiles on my Knights and their Paradise Girls! There's some random/funny information and pictures of all of them! Here's the link if anyone wants it! https://docs.google.com/document/d/19pbh8aHjOpswHI0icx4u2ic1-3SQVToIgzIwqdFTcK4/edit?usp=sharing 

Thirdly, the song I hear Evangeline sing in this chapter is 'Never Enough' from The Greatest Showman. Here's the link if anyone wants to listen! https://youtu.be/fKEMBn_JdCE

A Place To Escape: Chapter 4 (Jealousy)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Kylo sits, fiddling with a half-empty jar of healing balm–the gift Evangeline had carefully snuck into his pocket during his last visit.

He didn't discover it until he'd been back in his quarters, in the middle of changing out of his robes when the object fell to the floor.

A glass jar with a tiny folded note attached to the lid.

Twice a day. For your scars, my Lord.

–Your Little Bird

His Little Bird...

She saw him at his weakest. Saw him, listened to him, and cared for him. He had been feeble, and she held him protectively until the morning light came.

Even after, Evangeline continued to care for him. By secretly giving him medicine, knowing his pride would never allow him to take it from her directly.

In truth, he's disgusted with himself for exposing the vulnerabilities of his past. And yet...he mostly feels indebted to her.

Evangeline did more than what was required of her, but perhaps that's why she is considered one of the best; because she's good at fooling her clients into believing she cares for them.

That's the only plausible explanation Kylo can come up with.

He's her client, nothing more.

Still, he feels an overwhelming desire to thank her or give her a gift in return.

The only issue is that Kylo has zero experience with this sort of thing.

So, he went to his knights for advice—

"A gift? She doesn't need a gift! She needs to be provided for." Trudgen looks at Kylo as if he just sprouted an extra head and horns.

Kylo knits his brows together in confusion. "Provide? What do you mean?"

"Feed her, care for her, protect her. Materialistic things are meaningless."

"What is she, a dog?" Kylo scoffs, already regretting his decision to ask their opinion.

"If you ask me," Ushar interrupts, cutting into the conversation, "it sounds like someone is getting attached."

Kylo's mouth turns into a deep frown.

This was a mistake...

Trudgen's harsh laugh fills the space. "Oh, I think you might be right. You've got it bad, Kylo."

A huge fucking mistake...

"Enough," Kylo growls lowly in the back of his throat, but Trudgen and Ushar continue.

"I thought attachments were dangerous, Master Ren? Or is Evangeline as skilled as they say? I've always wondered what other talents she has." Ushar swipes his tongue along his bottom lip, and the blood in Kylo's veins boils over.