1 || Miyagi

The air was fresh. Fallen leaves crunched whenever she stepped on them. Bunches of tall buildings smushed together didn't cover the spring sun, for this was a very open area. Miyagi was very open. It wasn't congested or loud like Tokyo. Her destination was coming into sight after a few more steps.

'Karasuno High School'— the sign read. It was a fairly small campus, but that didn't matter. All Y/N wants is a new beginning, wanting to leave everything that happened to her behind. Moving to Miyagi, away from Tokyo, away from the drama. She wanted a perfectly normal high school life, not wanting anything to do with music. As long as she didn't run into anyone she knows–

"Hey! Iwasaki Y/N!" Oh no. Y/N stopped and turned, seeing a small girl running towards her at full speed, arms stretched in the air. Yeah, there's no way she would let her catch up. Y/N turned back around and sprinted at full speed trying to enlarge the distance between herself and the crazy blonde following her. 'Gotta go fast.'

"Iwasaki Y/N!"

"Not today." she breathed out, panting as heavily as she dashed through the gates of the school. Stopping, she bent over, placing her hands on her knees, heavily breathing to catch her breath, a few students looking at her. She glanced over her shoulder, not seeing or hearing her childhood friend. Y/N stood straight up again and walked into the school building.

She looked around in search for class 1-5. Finding it, she walked down the hallway and slid the door open. She bowed politely to the students already inside. Y/N then slid the door close and dropped her bag besides one of the desks near the window while taking a seat. She glanced at the clock, wondering what time class would start. Everything was going smoothly so far. Now that she dropped piano, she had more time to focus on her academics. There was nothing stopping her from living the non-prodigy life she wanted; she just had to make sure to stay away and avoid people that knows of her past.

Focusing on the novel she brought out onto her desk, she laid her head on her left palm, starting to read chapter– SLAM!

"IWASAKI Y/N!!" The door had been brutally opened to reveal the same small blonde girl with a tiny ponytail that was chasing Y/N all the way to Karasuno this morning. The girl looked embarrassed as everyone looked at her. After repeatedly bowing in apology to the other students present in the classroom, she walked over to the desk where Y/N was peacefully reading her book. Hooking her finger in the valley of the pages made in the middle, she brought the book down to look at Y/N in the face. "It's been awhile."

  "..."

  "..."

  Oh no. Had she misinterpreted her running away from the girl this morning? Was it not a little game of 'catch me' and was actually telling the girl 'don't get near me, I don't wanna be around you' instead? Or even worse... 'I don't remember or know who you are'? Was she too quick to judge again? Is this not her childhood friend and just someone that looked like her–?

  "Yeah, it has been. How have you been Yachi?" She ripped herself away from her thoughts after hearing her name. She realized Y/N put her book down and was now giving the girl her full attention while fiddling with the corner of a page in her book. "Yachi? Are you okay?" Y/N waved her hand in front of the smaller girl's face.

  "Huh? Oh! Yeah, I'm perfectly fine!" Yachi took a seat at the desk in front of Y/N's making her realize they were in the same class and that she wasn't just here to visit. So it wasn't that easy running away completely, huh? "So why did you move to Miyagi? Was Tokyo getting too boring for you?" Yachi laughs, Y/N following to not make it awkward.

  "My dad just spontaneously decided to move here. He thought it'd be easier living in Miyagi than staying in Tokyo. The rent for our place was going up." Y/N's voice was soft, less loud and bright than when Yachi used to play with her as little kids. Not to Yachi's knowledge, Y/N was only partially telling the truth. Her dad really did spontaneously decide on Miyagi as their new location, but the reason was because of her. She wanted to get away from Tokyo. She should really thank her dad for this.

  "Ohhh, I see. Are you still playing piano?" Yachi sees Y/N stiffen and stop fiddling with the page between her fingers. "I-I'm sorry if that was a sensitive question to ask! You don't have to answer that if you don't want to-"

  "No." Yachi stops, looking at Y/N with questioning eyes.

  "You... stopped?"

  "I stopped." Yachi couldn't believe what she just heard. Did she hear right? Did Y/N actually stop playing? After everything she did as a kid? After all the time she spent putting in hours and hours of practice?

  "No way...." This was all the blonde could say after the confirmation.

  "It's not that big of a deal. It was my choice." Y/N says quietly, looking down at her hand that was laying on top of the upper right corner of her book. "I know what you're going to ask, but my answer is kind of useless; it also sounds really cowardly out loud. But don't worry, Yachi. I just want to live normally for the rest of my school years."

  Yachi was at a loss for words. Was this how she's been during the two years she didn't see her? She gulped, closing her mouth that had opened from the shock. Nodding, Yachi doesn't try to push the topic further. Desperate to find a new topic to talk about to break the ice, Yachi spoke up and said whatever came to mind first.

  "Uhm... how about we walk home together! You can stop by my house after school if your dad will let you."

  Y/N thought for a bit. Her dad was most-likely not going to be home. He was working most of the time and usually came back at around ten or eleven– nine on lucky days– at night. Y/N nodded at her friend, telling her that she'll be going over to Yachi's house after school.

  "Great! Let's go buy snacks along the way." Yachi smiled.

Y/N put her book away after seeing the teacher come into the classroom. They all stood and bowed to greet her. Y/N decided that she would use her time with Yachi to try to get into whatever she liked to do. This new school year gave her the opportunity to explore and discover new hobbies, find new interests, maybe join an after-school club now that she didn't have to waste her day away pressing piano keys. She should go check out some of the clubs someday.