OS Number 20 - Inspired by Kanna Kanney

Song and Character Credits – All rights belong to their respective owners

Kathir had been sleeping when he heard sniffles. He slowly opens his eyes and looks towards the direction of the sound. Although the light was dimmed, he could see Mullai lying far away from him, on the extreme end of the bed, facing the wall. Kathir wakes up and peeks at Mullai. As he expected, Mullai had her hand on her mouth and had tears rolling down her cheek.  

Kannaana kanne
Nee kalangadhadi
Yaar pona enna
Naan irupenadi
Nee kalangadhadi

Kathir whispers.

Kathir: Mulla

Hearing the whisper, Mullai quickly wipes her tears and turns around.

Mullai: Ennachunga? Thookam varaliya?

Kathir: Elunthiri.

Mullai sits up on the bed. Kathir switches on the room light and comes back to the bed. One look at Mullai's eyes was enough to tell him that she had been crying for a while now.

Oru ganam oru podhum
Piriya koodadhey
En uyire en uyire
Nee azhuga koodadhey
Nee kanda kanavu edhumey
Kalaiya koodadhey
Naan irukkum naal varaikkum
Nee azhuga koodadhey

Kathir settles on the bed beside Mullai and looks at her.

Kathir: Azhutheeya?

Mullai: Enna?

Kathir: Azhutheeyanu kettaen

Mullai: Ennanga? Kanavu ethachum kandeehala?

Kathir: Un kanna parthaalae theriyuthu

Unable to hide the truth, Mullai looks down at her hand.

Kathir: Inikki nadanthatha nenachu thaane

Fresh tears form up in Mullai's eyes and she struggles hard to not let them roll down her cheek again.

Kathir slowly uses his hand to lift Mullai's face such that she faces him. The moment Mullai's eyes meet Kathir's, the tears escape and roll down her cheek. Kathir uses his thumbs to wipe the tears and holds Mullai's face in his hands.

Kathir: Azhatha Mulla.

Kedachadha ezhakkuradhum
Ezhandhadhu kedaikiradhum
Adhukku pazhaguradhum
Nyaayam dhaanadi

*Start of Flashback*

Earlier that day, the entire family had been celebrating. It was Meena's 7th month of pregnancy and her Valakappu had taken place at her maternal home. Everyone had been happy since a new member would be coming soon. Everything was going alright until that fated moment when Dhanam and Mullai were helping to arrange the bangles.

Relative 1: Ivangala thavira vera aalae illaiya?

Meena's Mother: Yenma? Avanga help thaane pannuranga?

Relative 1: Nalla vazhnthavangala uthavi seiya sollaama ivangala ethukku ma uthavi seiya vidureenga.

Hearing the comment from one of Meena's relatives, Dhanam excuses herself and moves away. Mullai who had not heard anything continues to help with the arrangements.

Meena's Mother: Apadi sollateenga. Avangalum kudumbam thaane. Avanga senja onnum thappila.

Relative 2: Avanga solrathu serithaan. Parunga. Antha pulla Mullaikkum Meenavukkum orae naalula thaan kalyaanam aachu. Ondrarai varusham aachu. Aana entha nalla seithiyum illaiyae.