Oh no, no title derp •3•

I parted my lips from hers, stroking her hair gently.

"It's alright." I smiled to her, touching our noses and wiping her tears away. "He didn't mean to."

"Thanks." She mumbled, sniffling. "You're my bestest friend, you know that?"

"Of course. I'm always here. I love you and promise to protect you."

"Pinkie promise?"

"Mhm."

"Then I love you too." She faintly grinned through her sadness, pulling me in and pressing her lips to mine.

We didn't know any better, seeing we were only five and had a bond together that was stronger than what we had with our parents. We'd always strategically plan when we'd kiss, sneaking into the yard or locking ourselves in the bathroom, and just sit there and take turns each time, occasionally holding it till the other couldn't breathe. We viewed it as a game, nothing more, and never really thought about its consequences. We had stopped doing it after we started school, seeing we were dumb enough to get caught once, causing us both to be embarrassed. We were distanced from each other since grade school, continuing into middle school, and now that we were in high school, I wanted to try to repair things. We had gone ten whole years without holding a generally comfortable conversation, or even making decent contact. I was never able to get close to anyone like I was with her, so I never let her position open, building walls and protecting my core. I didn't want to find another to be a replacement without trying to rebuild what I had, that would be disrespectful.

I sighed, glancing down at my watch to check the time.

7:21 a.m.

Only four minutes until she would walk out the door and head for school. Four minutes to think about all my stupid decisions in life, and debating if this would be another one.

I heard shuffling coming through the door, most likely her putting her shoes on. My heart raced as the knob turned, hearing her angelic voice sing a gentle "goodbye" as she exited. I was just standing in her yard, awkwardly staring at her when she finally turned around.

"Uhmm... Hello?" She breathed, her eyes widened. "What do you need?"

"Saori." I smiled, gazing at her stupidly. "Sup..?"

"I don't have time for this." She groaned, hopping down the stairs and facing me directly. "What do you need? I don't really want to talk to you."

"Why not?"

"It's just- I feel uncomfortable being around you."

My heart felt like it had been stabbed by a thousand pins and needles as her words swam in my conscience, making me feel sick.

"What have I done to make you feel- uncomfortable?"

There was a long moment of screaming silence as she stared into my eyes, biting her bottom lip as if debating to say something.

"It's just-" she started, clutching her fists. "I can't just do this."

She gulped heavily, exhaling.

"-you're sick, okay?! I'm sick and you're sick, both of us. I don't want to talk to you just to get back to what we were. Girls don't go around doing those things to other girls! We did like it was nothing, and I am ashamed because of it."

"But I don't want that-" My voice cracked, unintentionally showing weakness. "Just friends, nothing more."

She smiled at me, showing signs of possible hope as she grabbed my hand, pulling up my finger.

"Then a pinkie promise?" She sniffled.

"Alright." I grinned, wrapping my finger around hers.

"Friends."