Smiles

Walking out of the plane after Tord, I was surprised to see every person there saluting, standing upright and giving Tord a look of obedience. Even without seeing his face, it was obvious he was enjoying this.

"At ease, soldiers!"

Everyone relaxed their pose, getting back to doing whatever they were up to before. Once at the bottom of the stairs, a woman in a blue uniform walked up to Tord, holding out a tablet for him to take.

"Welcome back, Red Leader. How was your stay in London?"

I walked next to him, seeing a soft smirk pull at his lips.

"It was like a trip to the past, probably the last one I'll have for a while."

The woman smiled in a way that seemed much more informal than I thought would be appropriate. Somehow, seeing her give Tord the most flirtatious smile she could muster, which really just looked like a donkey opening its mouth, I felt a tinge of jealousy run through me. Her loss for not making a move on the leader. He was fucking me instead.

Once the woman noticed me, I was brought out of my thoughts, seeing her smile drop to an alien expression.

"May I ask who this is, Sir?"

Before I could introduce myself, Tord spoke in a casual tone as he looked over a plan on the tablet.

"This is my new secretary, Thomas. He will be given access to every secure area of the base, and the room A02. I do hope it was refurbished while I was away."

Her face was priceless. Eyes wide, mouth hanging open, I could've sworn she went a little pale. Tord simply looked up, giving her a light smirk as he started walking, the two of us following behind.

"B-BUT SIR! YOU CAN'T JUST GIVE A RANDOM PERSON ONE OF THE HIGHEST POSITIONS IN THE ARMY!"

A chilling aura left Tord as he stopped, turning to face the girl with a threatening smile.

"Can't I? Last time I checked, there was no rule stating I cannot do so. It's my army, after all. So please, soldier. If you do not want to lose your rank after so much time and effort spent, refrain from taking authority here."

As he spoke, I could see his smile drop to a glare. It was like watching a children's toy morph into some kind of demonic nightmare. The woman stood upright, slightly sweating, looking like she was about to burst into tears.

"I apologize for speaking out of place, Red Leader. I didn't mean to challenge your authority."

Tord nodded, turning his back on her once again. Realizing it was my job to be next to him, I hurried after Tord, turning corner after corner while the girl stayed behind and frowned. It made me smirk lightly.

"So... where are we going?"

Every soldier that passed us gave a salute and a greeting to their leader. It seemed to make Tord stand taller, as if proud of getting the soldiers to address him as their superior. Tord always had a thing for being in charge. Probably why I was bottom in the first place.

Without getting an answer to my question, Tord eventually walked into a lobby, chairs spread out along the walls and three couches surrounding a coffee table in the middle. It was empty, seemingly cut off from the rest of the base. Everything seemed polished and new, a red stripe going along the off-white walls.

The hallway split into two paths, a red stripe going along the right side, while a blue stripe went along the left. We went along the blue stripe, eventually coming to the end and standing in front of the door. Tord looked at me with a smirk, signalling me to open the door. Hesitantly, I walked closer, wrapping my fingers around the handle and twisting it.