Chapter six

Chapter six

         “Where do you wanna go?” Alex walked down a street in Chicago beside Gabriel, holding his hand. She went with his idea that they should do something together, and they had been walking around town.

         “Hm..I dunno.” Gabriel swung their hands as they walked, not really paying attention.

         “Hey…” Alex slowed to a stop. She felt a force pass by her, almost like she was feeling something’s energy. “Did you feel that?”

         “No….What?” Gabriel stopped walking, letting go of her hand.

         “I don’t know. It just felt weird...Like an energy or something.” Alex frowned in confusion.

         “Like how I can sense an angel’s grace when they enter the same room as me?” Gabriel asked.

        “Yeah...I guess...But what is it? I’ve never sensed an angel before.” Alex looked around, searching for any halos, just in case.

         “It’s not an angel, I know that. I don’t sense anything…” Gabriel trailed off.

         “Or a demon. We’d be able to see their face…” Alex searched for a demon as well.

         “Maybe it was nothing?” Gabriel suggested.

         “I don’t know….”

         “C’mon, don’t let it bother you. It was probably nothing.” Gabriel nudged her shoulder lightly.

         “When is anything in our life ‘probably nothing’.” Alex wrapped her arms around herself as they started walking again.

 ~

         They walked around for a while, looking at stores, buying a few things. They also stopped back at the apartment to grab Leo, who was now walking around with them, creeping people out when they walked into something invisible. Alex’s weird feeling never left, she actually felt more worried. Leo seemed suspicious too.

         Suddenly Alex’s FBI phone rang, she had one just for, well, FBI calls. “Hello?”

         “Agent White?”

         “Speaking.” Alex slowed her pace. She remembered telling the nearby hospital and morgue to call her if there were any weird cases.

         “You said to call if we got anything weird, well...I think you are going to want to check this out.” She remembered the coroner's voice.

         “I’ll be there soon.” Alex hung up the phone and returned it to her pocket.

         “What’s up?” Gabriel asked.

         “Coroner’s got a weird death for me. I’m gonna go check it out real quick.” Alex explained.

         “Ok. You think it has anything to do with what you felt earlier?”

         “I guess we’ll find out. You bring Leo back to the apartment. I’ll catch up with you.”

         “Don’t you have to change?” Gabriel raised an eyebrow.