2 ✦ scintillation

𝕞𝕪 𝕡𝕝𝕒𝕔𝕖 𝕦𝕟𝕕𝕖𝕣 𝕥𝕙𝕖 𝕝𝕚𝕘𝕙𝕥 𝕠𝕗 𝕥𝕙𝕖 𝕤𝕡𝕠𝕥𝕝𝕚𝕘𝕙𝕥 

𝕥𝕙𝕠𝕤𝕖 𝕜𝕚𝕟𝕕 𝕨𝕠𝕣𝕕𝕤 𝕥𝕙𝕒𝕥 𝕪𝕠𝕦 𝕥𝕙𝕣𝕠𝕨 𝕥𝕠𝕨𝕒𝕣𝕕𝕤 𝕞𝕖 

✦✦✦

i died my hair a light purple for the next semester. i wanted to be noticed. i wanted to be known.

i walked into class and people looked directly at me. they smiled. i smiled back.

i received compliments and some jealous gazes too. but for once, people were actually looking at me. 

people came up to me. they wanted to know who i was. they wanted my number. 

i didn't care that much, though.

where were you?

i reminded myself to stay calm. after all, it was only the first day.

i went to the basketball game that week. when i walked in, i saw you on the bleachers. 

first row, to support your friends and aunt. 

you looked at me, then nudged your friend. she looked at me too and then whispered something back to you. you nodded your head, and then we locked eyes. 

i froze. 

someone called my name. but it wasn't you. it was your friend. you probably didn't recognize me, but that's okay. 

i scuttled over to where you were. as soon as i got there, a hand clapped me on the back. i jumped. 

a couple of people around us chuckled at the sight of my surprise. you did too.

it was the coach. she asked if i'd ever played basketball. with my height, i might be able to help out the team. 

i told her i couldn't tell my left foot from the right foot and that i'd best stick to the bleachers. more people laughed, and i saw your smile again. 

this time it was different, though. it was a television smile, practiced and perfect.

people started to get seated. you looked over me one last time before saying that i looked nice. 

i nodded shyly and moved up to one of the higher seats. as i left, your friend waved at me excitedly but you didn't even look back. 

i should've noticed then. but i didn't. i was too high on the giddy feeling of being the center of attention. of your attention. 

tonight, i felt like the star.

✦✦✦

𝕚 𝕓𝕖𝕔𝕒𝕞𝕖 𝕒 𝕝𝕖𝕒𝕕 𝕒𝕔𝕥𝕠𝕣 𝕚𝕟 𝕥𝕙𝕒𝕥 𝕞𝕠𝕞𝕖𝕟𝕥