4 ✦ differentiation

𝕥𝕙𝕠𝕤𝕖 𝕔𝕙𝕖𝕖𝕣𝕤, 𝕚'𝕞 𝕟𝕠𝕓𝕠𝕕𝕪 

𝕠𝕙 𝕟𝕠, 𝕚'𝕞 𝕤𝕠𝕣𝕣𝕪, 𝕚 𝕤𝕥𝕖𝕡𝕡𝕖𝕕 𝕠𝕧𝕖𝕣 𝕞𝕪 𝕝𝕚𝕟𝕖

✦✦✦

i brought you flowers. they were small. but i didn't want it to seem like i was trying too hard.

i'd hoped you liked them.

you said you did. you even took a picture with them, saying the moment was special. 

funny, how easily you forgot about them.

you put them in your purse that day. are the withered petals still there?

we went out to a cafe. we ordered cake, it was my favorite cake.

but you let it sit there, too preoccupied with staring out the window and occasionally playing with the frosting. 

i started a conversation but you barely paid attention to me. 

suddenly, the bell above the cafe entrance rung. two tall boys and your friend came in. i barely recognized them, but they were college seniors from some of the parties i'd gone to. 

i wanted to start a conversation one more time, but i realized that your attention was elsewhere. on the group that just walked in. not that it was ever on me in the first place today.

the boys noticed you and made their way over. chanting your name as they approached.

as they got closer, i felt farther and farther away. i wasn't meant to be here. 

they focused on you. talked to you. you moved your hair, talked, smiled with them.

after a few minutes passed, your friend moved closer to me and said hi. i said hey back.

she gave me a sad smile and finally the party turned to me.

they asked if they were interrupting anything. you said no. 

it became clear i'd overstayed my time in the limelight.

i gathered my things, took one last look at the cold, dry, rejected piece of strawberry cake in front of you and made my way. 

i passed by the cafe window. this wasn't my scene. 

✦✦✦

𝕖𝕩𝕥𝕣𝕒 𝟙 𝕚𝕤 𝕖𝕕𝕚𝕥𝕖𝕕 𝕠𝕦𝕥 𝕥𝕠𝕕𝕒𝕪 𝕒𝕤 𝕨𝕖𝕝𝕝