Ch. 14

"I'm pregnant." She almost phrased it like a question. "I mean, I wasn't pregnant before. But I think I am now. I don't know how, it should be impossible to tell so soon. But I know that I am."

A mix of emotions flickered across Poseidon's eyes that she couldn't possibly make sense of. "Then you are. Godly pregnancies have a way of making themselves known." He was silent for several minutes, and something shifted in his expression, a sort of fervent intensity taking over. "I don't know that I can just walk away from you Sally Jackson, Queen Among Women. Especially not now. But I also can't stay here."

"What?" she gasped in disbelief.

"Come with me. I'll build you a palace at the bottom of the sea and you'll never want for anything ever again. You can raise the child in secret, and I'll visit you as often as I can. You'll be treated like a queen and never have to worry about bills or work or anything at all. Come with me."

He looked at her with such hope that what she said next broke her heart. "I can't. And you know why. It just isn't me. It isn't right. If my life is going to mean anything, I have to live it myself. I can't let a god take care of me. I need to stop living in this limbo. I have to find the courage on my own." She came to a decision. "After today, I'm leaving this cabin. It's been nice letting someone take care of me for a while; I think I needed that. But now I'm ready to take on the world on my own. Or, well, on my own plus one."

Poseidon shook his head, but she knew that he respected her enough not to argue any further. "It will be hard, you know. With a child."

"I know. But I'll make the most of it. That's what I've always done."

"And what will the magnificent Sally Jackson do next?"

"I'll continue working, of course. And I've been thinking of taking night classes, finishing up my high school degree. It's about time. I can't let my son have a high school drop out for a mother, now, can I? What sort of example would that set?"

"Son," Poseidon repeated. "You said son."

"Huh. I guess I did. I'm certain I'm right."

"And what will you name this son of ours?"

Sally mused for a moment. "How about Luke? It's a strong name, and I've always loved it."

Poseidon nodded. "Yes, it is a good name. But I'm almost positive that Hermes had a son a few years back named the same thing. He'll say we copied him."

Sally laughed. "Well, we can't have that, now, can we?" She thought for another moment, the said, "What about Perseus? Percy for short, of course. Just like the old Greek hero, the one who got the happy ending."

"Percy Jackson," Poseidon sounded out in his mouth. "I think I like the sound of it."

"Then it's decided."

They spent the rest of the morning making breakfast and talking, and it was almost like old times, except for that Poseidon kept drilling her with facts and information that she'd need to know. Little Percy was the son of a powerful god, so monsters would be attracted to him more than most. She'd need to be careful. The least he knew about who he was, and the world of the gods, the better. And she was welcome to use the cabin whenever she wanted, of course. Sally promised that she would bring their son for a few days every summer. Finally, he told her about Camp Half-Blood, a place where he could train and be safe.

"Hold off on sending him as long as possible. Eventually, though, he'll have to go to receive the training he's going to need to survive. Chiron is the Director of Activities there. He'll be in good hands."

Sally nodded stoically, already faced with the reality of giving up her unborn son that she'd just learned of a few hours before.

When it was time for him to go, Sally walked with him down the beach. 'This time, it's really goodbye," he said. "I'll need to stay away from you, for your safety as much as his. But that doesn't mean I won't think of you every single day."

Sally shook her head side to side, a small smile spreading across her face. "You gods are so dramatic." She pulled him into a kiss.

When they broke apart, he leaned his forehead against hers. "One last question: What will you tell him about where I've gone?"

Sally turned to stare across the sea, the waves lazily lapping against the deserted winter shore. "That's easy; I'll tell him the truth. Or, part of the truth, anyway."

He kissed her cheek one last time, then stepped forward. "Farewell, Sally Jackson."

The moment his feet touched the water, he was gone. But this time, she wasn't left alone.