Prologue

"North! Fall back!" He shouted into the chaos.

The marine did as he was told, falling behind his Corporal, and fire team leader, Austin Parker. Behind him stood two other marines. Private First Class Moore, and Private First Class Holden.

Private First Class Moore was known to his buddies as Bunny. It wasn't a particularly masculine nickname, but it didn't bother him anymore. Private First Class Holden generally had to answer to the name Indie, as he was from Indiana.

North was a Lance Corporal. He was second in command of this fire team. He was often referred to as Marshall, because he liked to think he was in charge. He was the senior of the team, having enlisted later than the rest. He also happened to be Corporal Austin Parker's brother-in-law.

Corporal Austin Parker, while young had a great head on his shoulders. Never lost his cool in a crisis, always put his men before himself. The makings of a true leader. His team liked to call him Dad. It was a new name provided when he shared the news that his wife was expecting.

A son.

Austin had wanted a son for as long as he could remember. Surprising for a twenty-two year old, but true nonetheless. He had video chatted with his wife as she found out, then she sent him a photo from the ultrasound. That photo now sat in his chest pocket with a photo of his wife. He never went anywhere without them.

"Watch your six!" The Corporal shouted to his men. He was met with no reply as everyone was focused on the task at hand.

They were in enemy territory and they had to be on the lookout for anything that could bring them any harm. They just had to make it to the convoys then they'd be home free. Well, they'd at least make it back to base.

"Corporal, on the right!" North shouted when he noticed movement from the corner of his eye.

Parker lifted his rifle, ready to take out any possible threat. "Take cover!" He shouted to the men as they were ambushed by approximately six men. Within seconds Parker had taken out three of the military aged men, leaving three enemies.

The four men were partially hidden behind trees as they tried to protect themselves from the fire fight. This is what they were trained and prepared for. They could easily take these men. It was practically child's play.

What they couldn't do though, was stop the airstrike waiting to complete the job the small team of six wouldn't be able to.

Just as the last enemy was taken out by Moore the guys were met with a sound so loud it was followed by nothing but silence. The silence was only disturbed by an incessant ringing.

Moore made his way to his feet in a daze attempting to figure out where the rest of his team was. He found Holden not to far from himself, conscious and also dazed. It took a little longer for the two to find North and Parker.

When they did, the two functional men had to lift and unconscious Parker from his position as a human shield off of North. They noticed an open fracture on North's leg. Holden and Moore shared a look that said he'd be losing that leg.

Parker's condition was the worst of the group of four. He was unresponsive and had multiple points of penetrating trauma from the shrapnel. He had thrown himself over North in attempt to protect his brother from the damage.

"Corporal!" Moore heard a feminine voice shout through the rubble. The sound was accompanied by the image of a woman in matching fatigues to their own and she was trailed by two men dressed the same. They ran to the fire team and assessed the injuries, insisting that Corporal Austin Parker's condition was critical and they needed to get him to a medic as quickly as they possibly could.

She directed the men. Moore and Holden were able to make it to the convoy without assistance. Moore even helped to carry his corporal. North was carried as well as the men tried to keep his leg stable.

On May fifteenth many things changed. Private First Class Moore and Private First Class Holden watched as the remaining two members of their small team were rushed to be treated. One, Lance Corporal North, lost his leg, while the other, Corporal Austin Parker, lost something far more valuable.

He had awoken once after surgery. He clutched the photo of his wife and the ultrasound of their son and he managed to utter "Mar," before the thin green line that had been tracking his heartbeat flattened and they were unable to get him back.

Mar. That had been his last word. He used the last of his strength to speak his wife's name, well her nickname.