Chapter 5- Memory Lane

Everett's POV

It was a tradition. Once a week when we finished our shifts, my crew and I would head to the park and play a little pickup football game. We'd been doing it for the last three years and it's one of my favorite parts about working so closely with the guys. We just so happened to be the only crew without any women, not for any reason, that's just what happened. 

That's what we were doing today. Somehow I ended up on the skins team yet again. While the other guys didn't seem to mind, I was never one for flaunting my body. I'm not ashamed of it or anything and I know it's pretty normal for guys to run around shirtless, it just wasn't what I preferred. 

Today the game was interrupted by a shout for help. Naturally the guys and I all ran to try and assist in whatever was wrong. When we found the family in distress we all noticed the body of a beautiful dog lying on the ground. The little girl beside her had tears of worry streaming down her cheeks and I didn't know what to do. I wanted to help I did, but I know nothing about caring for animals. 

Then she appeared. She managed to move four very large men out of her way with a single command and I was entranced. She calmed both the little girl and her father as she assessed the pup. I was able to help a little by getting her my bag. She looked so confident and competent. So... familiar. Her captivating hazel eyes, her long chestnut hair, her aurora, just everything about her felt familiar and I couldn't place it. 

I noticed the rest of the guys watching her in awe as well. She's beautiful and intelligent, naturally she gathered their attention. I was a little disheartened when I noticed the ring on her finger, but did my best to not let it bother my much. Of course she'd be taken. 

I had the strangest sense of de ja vu when she whispered "Semper Fi" to the man when he told her that the dog was a former bomb sniffing dog for the marines. 

I've met her before I swear.

I don't know why I offered to take her to her office, it just came out. I guess I just wanted to see her in her element. Of course I also wanted to make sure Daisy ended up okay. 

Dr. Parker accepted my help and said she'd meet me at her office before she went over and sat in front of a little boy with a puppy. I couldn't hear what was being said but I saw a range of emotions cross his face before they both walked to a car parked out in the lot. I felt a small smile on my face as I watched them. 

It was fun, helping Dr. Parker with Daisy. As an EMT you never really get to find out what happens with your patients, you just drop em at the nearest hospital and take the next call. It was nice knowing that Daisy would be just fine once her leg healed. 

We made conversation while we cleaned up her exam room. I told her why I became an EMT. She let out a little giggle and for some reason I couldn't help but want to hear that sound forever. 

"Who are you?" I heard a little voice from just outside the door. I looked down and saw Dr. Parker's son. A little brown haired boy with adorable chubby cheeks and shockingly blue eyes.

"I am Everett." I introduced while extending my hand to him as I crouched down a little. "What's your name, bud?" I asked after he took my hand.

"Liam. Liam Austin Parker." He announced with so much pride in his voice. 

The name. Why do I know that name? Liam Austin Parker... Liam Austin Parker!

Oh my god! My first day as an EMT. Amara. The newly widowed woman. I helped deliver this little boy. 

I looked back at her and sure enough her image fit that of the woman I remember, minus the swollen belly and the tear tracks. There was still the unmistakable flicker of pain in her beautiful hazel eyes, but there was more now. There was pride and love and devotion. For her son.