Chapter 6- Dream

Amara's POV

What is it called when you have like buyer's remorse over not buying something? Part of me is excited over the prospect of having a new handso- a new friend, while a large part of me is terrified because this man has seen me at my absolute most vulnerable I have ever been in my life. And I gave him my number. 

"Mommy, can we see Everett again? He likes football!" Liam asked me from the back seat as we drove back to Amelia's place.

"He does, doesn't he baby. I'll think about it okay? Do you wanna have some pizza tonight?" I asked hoping to change the subject.

"Mom, I always want pizza." He informed me with an obvious tone. 

"Of course, my mistake." I chuckled. 

We pulled up to Amelia's and I helped Liam out of the car seat before he ran inside without bothering to knock. We never do. When we got inside Liam ran off to eat with his cousins while I found Steven and Amelia sitting in the kitchen. 

"How's the dog?" My sister questioned.

"She's good. She has a broken leg, but we were able to stabilize it and give her some pain meds." I smiled and took a slice of the meat pizza from the open box on the counter. 

"And the guy that followed to help?" She asked with a teasing lilt in her tone. I felt my cheeks redden and I didn't know why. 

"What about him?" I asked after clearing my throat. 

"He was handsome and he sure seemed taken by you." Steven answered.

"You think he was handsome?" I teased with a giggle. 

"Hey, I'm not blind I can recognize another man's beauty." He puffed his chest refusing to be embarrassed by his comment. We all burst into laughter. 

"Well?" Meli prompted.

"Well what?" I feigned ignorance.

"Did he ask you out? Did you jump him in your office? Did he bend you over the exam table?" She asked excitedly. Steven and I just looked at her worriedly. 

"Few things," I started, "One there are cameras at the clinic so just no. Two, Liam was there with us even after the family left, so no. Three you know I'm not ready. Four, even if I had wanted him to ask me out or something, that'll never happen. We've met before." I told them vaguely.

"What you have?" She looked at me curiously.

"Yeah, almost exactly five years ago." I said trying to find a way to avoid telling her. It's embarrassing. 

"What are you talking about Mar?" Steven asked. 

I let out a frustrated sigh. "I've told you guys my labor story right? How Liam was born in an ambulance? How there was a paramedic there who had known Austin and he really helped me get through everything? That was Everett. He saw me...He was there." I told them without being too graphic. 

"I'm guessing Everett is the guy from today?" Meli said as if it was all finally coming together. 

"Yes. Now Steven, tell me if you had met Amelia as she was literally pushing an eight pound baby out of her vagina, would you have wanted to ask her on a date?" I posed.

"Well, you see.." He let out a nervous chuckle as Meli turned to glare at him. "Of course I would. She was radiant while pushing out every single one of my children." He said in a rush. 

"Mhm. Nice save." Meli grunted and I giggled. 

"Besides you guys know I'm not ready. I don't know if I'll ever be ready to date again. I'm sure that Austin was my one. I don't think I'll get another one." I said with a sad shrug. "I don't think I even want to look for another one." I said more to myself.