2| the kissing disease

My Lovely Readers,

I'm back with part 2! It's a little longer than I intended, but if you like it please vote and leave a comment!

The song is Cool Out, by Matthew E. White. (If anyone is wondering, it is also played at the very end of To All the Boys I've Loved Before).

All week Sophie had been dodging constant questions about her's and Keefe's day off from school. Most of the school seemed to know they were sick, but when asked what they had, the two simply shrugged and claimed it to be a "weird human disease", which seemed to satisfy most, but Sophie could tell Biana didn't buy it. She tried not to feel guilty for lying, she told herself she was less lying and more withholding parts of the truth. Dex had been holding up his part of the deal and kept his lips tightly sealed, but Sophie had been hearing more and more rumors about her and Keefe. She knew that eventually word would get out, and it was getting difficult to constantly deny it all.

Sophie took a seat next to Keefe in the Foxfire cafeteria, ignoring Biana's eyebrow raise and keeping her focus on the yellow sludge that was her lunch.

"Sophie, are you still coming over to Everglen for the sleepover tonight?" Biana asked. "Everyone else is, and I'm sure we have plenty to discuss." Sophie pretended to not hear the last part and reassured Biana that she would be there.

"Good, you should come an hour early so I can give you a makeover and have some girl talk,"

Sophie groaned and glanced around, hoping someone would save her from the torture. But unfortunately everyone else was either engrossed in their own conversation or watching for Sophie's answer.

"I'll come over early, but no makeover."

Biana rolled her eyes. "We'll see about that." Sophie gulped and looked away, but Marella jumped in before she could continue.

"What's up with you two?" she asked, gesturing towards Sophie and Keefe. Sophie's heart stopped and her eyes widened, worried about what Marella was about to follow up with. Keefe squeezed her hand under the table, bringing her back to reality.

"What do you mean?" Sophie feigned confusion and hoped Stina wasn't listening too closely, the empath would surely see right through her lie.

"Well, I've heard at least five different people saying you and him are like secretly hooking up or something."

Sophie choked on her lunch and was glad she could blame her blush on the lack of oxygen reaching her lungs. By now half the lunchroom seemed to be listening.

"No! Absolutely not! That- that's not what it's like at all!" she stuttered. Marella gave her a pointed look.

"Then what is it like?"

Sophie paused, unsure how to get herself out of her current predicament. Thankfully Keefe cleared his throat.

"Well apparently our Mysterious Miss F kept it so secret that even I didn't know about it. So how about you tell your little gossip circle that they can-" Sophie cut him off, worried about how far he would go.

"There's nothing. Really." She gave the most sincere look she could before getting up and heading off to Telepathy. Sophie could only hope that Fitz wasn't paying close attention to the whole conversation, because she wasn't sure how much longer she could keep the lies up. She knew that soon, she would have to tell everyone. Everywhere Sophie went she had to deny, deny, deny. And she was sick of it.

Exhausted from the long day at school, Sophie collapsed on her bed. Edaline softly knocked before sliding in with a large tray of mallowmelt.