never forget you

Dedicated to: lyrics_in_my_head and IHeartKeefe

"She's alive!" Yes, I know I haven't updated for awhile, and I'm so sorry! In all honesty, I wanted to update but wasn't inspired at all. This one took almost all day to write and it's a little choppy so I'm sorry. Also.... OVER 100 READS???? I opened Wattpad the other day, looked at the reads and went "Holy shi-CRAP!!!". I would like to thank all of my amazing readers and followers! With that, I'll get to the oneshot!

The song is Trying My Best, by Anson Seabra.

It all had happened so fast. One moment Sophie and Keefe were fighting side by side, the next he's pushing her aside as three knives come hurtling through the air. All Sophie could hear was the sickening sound of metal on flesh and a thump as his body hit the ground. A strangled scream escaped her as she whipped around to see the three knives embedded in his chest. Time seemed to freeze around them and she sank to the ground beside him. Sophie removed the knives with a horrible squelch and attempted, in vain, to stop the blood gushing from the three gaping holes. His breaths became ragged and uneven as he tried to speak.

"Foster," the word came out barely a whisper, but Sophie stopped what she was doing and looked at him. He grabbed her hand and tears streamed down her face as he gave it one last squeeze. Then, the light faded from his eyes and something inside Sophie snapped. She became hysterical, shaking his body and sobbing. Her screams echoed through the air and the battle had stopped around her. She felt a dark chasm open up inside the pit of her stomach, an empty feeling that wouldn't go away.

Sophie knew that she would never forget that moment; the moment she saw the blood caked on his skin and his pale hue, and it clicked, she realized that he was truly gone. It's hard seeing the person you love so pale and lifeless, knowing you will never feel their warm touch or see their smile again. The same face that once would bring you comfort, would now be the star of your nightmares. It terrified Sophie that he would never be there to comfort her again. She already missed the way he would look at her, like she was his world. Sophie deeply regretted never telling him how much she had loved him. Keefe was gone, and she had never said "I love you".

She fell into a state of shock, not moving or registering anything around her. The Neverseen were gone, the Black Swan must've won. But to Sophie, they had lost. She had lost the one person she could truly not live without. She barely noticed the aftermath, people scrambling to tend to wounded and count the dead. For minutes, no one bothered the distraught teenager kneeling in the middle of a battlefield. Sophie hardly felt the arms pulling her away from Keefe's body or the salty tears soaking her face. She felt like she was shutting down. It wasn't supposed to be him. Those knives were meant for her. The Moonlark was always meant to die. To die for the better of the elvin world. But the moment he shoved her out of harm's way, he shattered her whole world. The gaping hole had ripped open inside her and worked to swallow every feeling, leaving her void of emotion.

The rest of the day was a flurry of cleaning up the disaster caused by the battle and helping the wounded. Sophie tried to shove all thoughts of Keefe to the back of her head, and bury the chasm deep inside her. She busied herself with helping Elwin in the Healing Center. She barely spoke, only talking with one word answers, and barely felt anything. Everything seemed so far away. No one seemed as affected by his death as Sophie. Plenty of elves had sacrificed themselves during the last battle, but everyone else handled the grief well. Sophie had lost people close to her before, but none of them hurt her so bad. In all of her near-death experiences, no amount of pain had come even close to this. She had always scoffed at romance novels that claimed heartbreak was the worst kind of pain, but now she finally understood. Her heart felt like it was being ripped to shreds. This wound was one that even the best physician couldn't fix.