Chapter 1- The Collision

Maya

The airplane just landed. After 4 hours, flying over 5 States, I finally made it to Florida. My aunt Patricia has told me that my step cousin Ellyas would come to pick me up from the airport, as she was at work and could not skip an important meeting.

I was looking at my watch: 30 minutes past since I got out of the plane, and still could not  see Ellyas. I called him twice so far at the number my aunt gave me but he did not answer.  I looked around trying to spot him in the crowd of people rushing around me.

Last time I saw him in person was 8 years ago, when I was 9. It was before his Dad, my aunt's husband died.  Ellyas was his only son from a previous marriage. He was about one-two years older then I was.

The crowd around me got larger. I could see people rushing around everywhere, and I started to feel hot as my heart was rushing in my chest. Since my Mom died, I was not able to tolerate being around large crowds. It would suddenly trigger my anxiety. I tried to step aside, avoiding people bumping into me. Meanwhile I was constantly checking the phone in my hand, if I got any notification from Ellyas.

Where are you Ellyas? Please answer the phone.

I was trying to picture his appearance, and the only I could remember were two blue eyes and a head with dark, silky curls. My aunt did not bring him to my Mom's funeral one year ago, because school started and he couldn't miss college for so many days. She came by herself and stayed for two weeks with me during that sad time. We talked a lot, and it was then, when we first discussed to apply for college in Florida.

"Ouch. ...it hurts.. where am I?" I felt a strong shake to my core and an excruciating pain in my left knee. I barely could raise my head and look around. It took me few seconds to realize I was laying on the ground. It felt like I just collided into something hard. I saw people around going everywhere for a moment ...until I became dizzy, my eyes got blurry and my heart started racing into my chest at a frightening speed.

" Are you ok? " I heard a soft, masculine voice behind me while I could feel  two hands on my back, raising me up from the ground.  I could not tell how long I was laying on the ground. I took a look at the crowd around me again, and I started to realize that I probably bumped into someone, sending me swiftly to the ground. My vision got blurry, my head felt heavy. I  was dizzy from the impact and I struggled to breath properly.

" Sit here. Are you hurt? " I heard the  voice asking me.

Through my blurred vision I spotted a tall shadow next to my left side, holding me by the arm, supporting me to walk. He pushed one of my suitcases on the ground with one hand while holding me with the other, and then directed me to sit on it. I was still struggling to breath well.

" You are ok. I got you! Breath! Please, take  a deep breath for me! " he said  holding my arm.I was still not able to see him.

" My knee... "I said trying to regulate my breathing. "Oh, I  feel so dizzy.." I mumbled touching my forehead.

Then suddenly my vision stabilized a bit. Looking down, I could see a stranger kneeling in front of me, with his head down, carefully inspecting my knee.

" Thank you for helping me ! " I mumbled trying to manage the sharping pain coming from my left knee.

I continued looking at the stranger in front of me. I could only see the top of a head with brown, loose curls falling down his forehead. He wore an white shirt through which were revealed the shapes of  his harmonious shoulders and  chest. His hands felt soft and warm on  my hurt knee.

" Did I bump into you?" I asked bluntly when my vision got better, minded to meet the strangers' face. His head was still bent, looking down at my knee.

" I.. I am sorry.. it's my fault . " He managed to answer quietly with visible concern in his voice, while finally raising his head. All of a sudden two vibrant, blue eyes looked up at me, taking me by surprise. His piercing eyes were studying my face. They were filled with an odd mixture of  concern, kindness, and glam that naturally brightened his angelic face. Then he looked down at my bloody knee again.

" You are hurt... I am so sorry.." he whispered with his head down.

"No, it is my fault," I said shaking my head. "I was looking at my phone...I didn't pay attention,"I explained quickly.

"It needs to be cleaned up. I wish I had some antibiotic and a band-aid  with me" he almost whispered to himself.
He placed his hands in his pockets searching for something. Then he took them out empty looking a bit disappointed for not being able to find anything.

"I... I have this.." I said quickly, looking at my scarf hanging down my neck.

His eyes lighten up when seeing the scarf.

" It would do the work for now, until you get home and clean it up," he said with a small smile.

He took the scarf and started wrapping it around my knee with gentle moves, pausing any time I winced because of pain. Then he looked up at me, checking my face, if I was ready for him to continue.

" I am sorry," he said softly after each of my wince, while pausing, and placing his piercing, blue eyes on mine.

" I am fine, go ahead," I said while  I was getting sinked in those ocean eyes of his. The most beautiful eyes I ever seen, despite they were shadowed with concern for my knee. I could stare into his eyes all day.

For a while, I could not take my eyes off him. He smiled lightly, visibly uneasy because of my intense gaze. His skin looked soft and slightly tanned. Waves of silky hair framed his face in a sweet embrace touching his shoulders, making his blue eyes stand out.  There was something intriguing about this stranger and his magnetic, beautiful eyes filled with a glint of concern, that I could not help but keep my gaze on him.

All of a sudden he looked at the wristwatch, and a shadow of worry settled on his gorgeous face. When he was done scarfing my knee, he stood up quickly looking down at me.

I was startled by his imposing appearance. He was tall and gorgeous like an archangel captured in Italian paintings. His blue eyes so intense and expressive.

" This should help until you get home and have it cleaned. Is there anything I can do for you?" He asked looking down at my knee.

" No, I am fine. Thank you." I answered while searching for his eyes.

" I have to go. Are you going to be ok?  May I call a cab for you ?" He asked me while searching his pockets. "I would be glad to do it, if I can find my phone. I  must leave it in the car." He said with a puzzled look on his face, while touching the back of his head nervously with one hand.

" No worries, I don't need a cab, my ride is in his way," I answered smiling ."I will be fine."

" Take care of you!" He said softly looking into my eyes one more time before disappearing in the crowd surrounding us.