Chapter One - First Encounters

(Feel free you have creative liberty. I'm not going to specify your hair or eye color so use your imagination.)
Y/N - you
POV - Point of View

This also takes place after SUF (Steven Universe Future) but let's pretend Steven stayed in Beach City instead of leaving.

-.-.-.-

Y/N's POV:

i searched through the grocery aisles as quickly as i could, knowing i had to get back home soon.

i lived in a small town, so word got around very quickly. if people saw me and some figured out what a bad person my father was, he would pack me up and run across the country. everyone saw him as a good (enough) man, and i doubted most even knew he had a daughter.

i want allowed to leave the house very often, and when i did it was to get dinner or groceries -like now- because he wasn't coherent enough to do it himself.

all i had with me was a grocery list and the money i needed to pay for it; though i guessed he purposely didn't give me enough money so i wouldn't be able to buy everything and he would have something to get angry about.

i was so deep in thought that i didn't notice the boy standing next to me. he had soft eyes and curly brown hair, clad in a black shirt with a yellow star, a pink jacket, jeans, and red sandals.

i jumped in surprise and he laughed, a charming sound. "sorry, i didn't mean to scare you! i'm steven, what's your name?" he held out his hand for me to shake.

i froze for a minute. my dad had many strict rules. top of the list: don't make friends. or, talk to anyone for that matter. if there were no friends, there was no one to get suspicious over the bruises and scrapes my father inflicted on me.

with a sigh, i turned away from his outstretched hand and walked down a different aisle, leaving steven confused and embarrassed.

unfortunately, i could hear him follow me. whole trying to figure out which brand of bleach was cheaper, steven peeled his head into my view with a smile. "i don't think i've seen you around here before." he stated cheekily.

"i don't get out much." i murmured. i kept my head down and walked towards the cash register.

then cashier started ringing up the items with a disinterested and tired expression.

steven trailed after me, watching my every movement with sparkling interest. "i know everyone here. beach city is a small town, i would have definitely seen you."

i ignored him, too focused on the total. it was a few dollars more than the money i was given, like i had guessed. i grabbed the empty spray bottle and turned to put it back.

"i can spot you, if you want." steven pulled out his wallet, thumbing out a few pristine dollar bills to hand to the cashier.

i nodded halfheartedly, secretly thankful to him. i watched the cashier bag my groceries with laser focus, hoping if i ignored steven long enough he would just go away.

i finally gathered the bags in my arms and walked out of the store, still ignoring him.

he still followed, much to my annoyance. "do you need a ride?" He asked me. "LION!!" he called, causing me to flinch back in surprise.

after a few moments, a large pink lion emerged from a pink portal, plopping down on the ground and licking his paws.

i looked at it with wide eyes, unsure of what to think.

he sighed at my extended silence. "i guess not. i'm going to figure out your name, y'know, and we're gonna be best friends." he moved to stand in front of me, blocked me from walking.

i simply kept my eyes down and sighed. "i'm sorry." i muttered. i moved past him and continued down the street.

thankfully, my house wasn't far from the store, so i reached my street in no time. i could feel someone watching me, and i couldn't help but think it was steven.

in fear of showing him where i lived, i knocked on my neighbor's door and went inside. she was a nice old woman, named ms. green.

she smiled as she let me inside, "hey, hon. what's going on?"

i looked out the window just in time to see steven innocently walking past the house, eyeing it curiously. "nothings, there's just this guy following me and i didn't want him to know where i live."

she'd appeared beside me, "oh, that universe boy means no harm, he's just a little persistent. he's probably just curious."

"i don't want him to be curious." i muttered.

she patted my shoulder, waiting until steven was out of sight to and usher me out the door. i walked back to my house and opened the door quietly.

"did you get everything?" i heard my father yell from the living room.

"yes, sir." i put the bags down in the kitchen and quickly emptied them, then ran to my room and shut the door.

[ACTUALLY edited] (plot is still bad tho)