Chapter Five - A Little Secret

Y/N's POV:

steven and i were sitting on a bench at the boardwalk, eating fry bits and trying to plan our week. it was tuesday, which meant i two only had five more days until my father returned home.

"well, i can't hang out tomorrow." i informed him.

he frowned and moved the bits away from my reaching hand. "why not?"

"derek wanted to take me to meet up with my dad. just a middle of the week thing." i covered up my lie with a shrug.

"oh, well pearl mentioned something about going to mask island, so i guess i'm busy, too!" he smiled, placing the bits back between us.

"when can i meet the gems?" i blurted out.

"um... they're out on a mission today, but how about thursday?"

"sure."

-.-.-.-.-
Steven's POV:

i glanced over (Y/N)'s shoulder just in time to see the same crane from earlier in the weeks land on the sand to stare at me.

"what's is up with that thing?" i grumbled.

"hmm?" (Y/N) turned around, quickly spinning back to face me with an unimpressed look. "looks like a crane."

"that same crane. you don't think it's weird that there's a crane following me around?"

she shrugged, "you got superpowers from a gem embedded in your stomach, and you own a pink lion. i think a crane is pretty low on a list of 'weird' things going on with you."

i snorted, nodding reluctantly. "yeah, okay, fair. it's probably just a coincidence anyways."

i stood up and tossed the rest of the fry-bits in the trash, offering her my hand. "you're ready to go home?" i asked.

she nodded, hesitantly slipping her hand into mine. "yeah, uh- yeah."

-.-.-.-.-
Y/N's POV:

it was wednesday morning, about 7:00 am. i jumped out of bed and changed quickly, slipping my shoes on. derek was passed out drunk on the couch -as he had been the past few days-, so it was easy to slip past him and tiptoe out the back door.

my backyard shared fences with the forest, lively and green as always. the forest where a certain power-hungry gem lived. i zigzagged through the trees, following the small path i had made from my many treks back and forth over time.

finally- after tripping an embarrassing about of times-, i reached the clearing i had been searching for. cut tree trunks were spread as far as the eye could see, with a man-made cave teetering in the middle.

a large orange gem emerged from the caves depths with a set scowl. "you're late." jasper picked up a small rock and threw it at you in annoyance, which you barely dodged.

"since when are you a stickler about time?" i rolled my eyes.

"whatever. let's get this over with." she cracked her knuckles and took a few predatory steps closer.

i smiled. "come on, admit you're happy to see me."

"no, i am not. we do this once a month for a reason. i don't want to see you any more than that."

"oh, whatever. you love me." i bounced towards her with a smug grin.

"take another step and i will crush your skull."

i halted, throwing my hands up defensively. "alright, damn. where do we start?"

jasper hummed and heaved up a boulder twice my size. she drew her arm back preparing to launch the large rock at me, "catch!"

"oh- wait!"

the rock flew straight at me. i held my hands out instinctively and squeezed my eyes shut.

"impressive." i heard her hum.

i cracked an eye open, face to face with the rock. it was hovering in the air, a buzz in the air between it and my hand. i reached towards it, and it shot back towards jasper.

"oh, so you wanna fight?"

"no way! that was an accident!" i shouted nervously. i took a few steps backwards, preparing for the onslaught that jasper always brought when upset.

we both froze at the sound of a twig snapping a few feet into the woods. our eyes locked, silent alarms passing through both of our heads.

"jasper?" A male voice echoed out into the air.

steven universe.

"is that steven? " i hissed. "what is he doing here?"

"you know that brat?" jasper hissed back. she didn't wait for me to answer, motioning to a stack of boulders. "just hide, idiot."

i nodded thankfully, darting behind the rocks seconds before steven emerged in view.

"hello, my diamond." jasper greeted gruffly.

"steven." he corrected.

"yeah, whatever. what're you doing here?"

"just checking in on you, seeing if you've given any more thought to joining little homeschool?" i could hear leaves crunch beneath his feet as he walked leisurely through the clearing.

i heard jasper sigh loudly. "no. i don't... is that a crane?"

i peeked out from behind the rocks to spot the large crane from the other few incidents standing behind steven.

"yeah." he sighed, turning and shooing it away. "stars, it won't leave me alone."

"i'm busy." jasper blurted. "can you come back, like, tomorrow?"

"no can do. i made a new friend, so ill be busy all week." i could hear his smile.

"i don't care. goodbye, steven."

a minute or two later, jasper lifted the rock i was hiding behind. "he's gone." she tossed the rock to the side. "you're getting a crane to follow him, too?"

"i can't really help it." i stood up and sighed. "they just follow people i like. cranes bring good luck, y'know." i smiled to myselfz

"well, mine is annoying." jasper huffed, cracking her knuckles. "ready to train?"

-.-.-.-.-
[ACTUALLY edited]