Chapter 16 - The Voyage to the Kingdom

Poppy's POV

This time, when I woke up, the sky was blue, and the sun was 1/4 of the way across the sky. Branch wasn't anywhere to be seen. I sat up and looked around, I heard rustling behind me and gasped. I turned around to face Branch, holding a bundle of!

"'Morning Pinkie," he said said, walking around me to the burned out campfire. 

"Um...What are you doing?" I asked, pushing me hair off of me, which was back to its regular color.

"Making breakfast," he replied, putting my frying pan on the now burning fire. He dropped some berries in it and stirred them with a stick. The aroma wafted to me and made my mouth water. I pulled a lollipop out of my hair and went into the bushes. I went all the way back to the river and washed my face and brushed my teeth. When I came back, Branch was ready with a sort of soup made of magenta berries with little mint leaves in it. It looked delicious

"Food's ready!" he said putting a wooden bowl and spoon down in front of me, and I wondered if he made them. 

"Thanks!" I said, picking up the spoon. We ate in silence for few minutes, then Branch spoke up.

"Um...what happened last night?" he asked.

"I-I don't know," I said truthfully. The last thing I remember was the taste of the magenta berries in my mouth before I blacked out. "I couldn't stop saying it, the words just tumbled out of my mouth."

"Maybe you should forget about it for now," Branch suggested. "And don't say it." I nodded in agreement. We finished our soup and Branch started to pack up his things. 

"Do you think we can make it to the village today?" I asked. 

"Yeah, we should be able to make it by afternoon," he said, handing me the clean frying pan. I stuck in in my hair and Petal flew out, annoyed. "Sorry Petal," I said. I didn't know she was in my hair. 

"Come on, Poppy," Branch said heading toward the way to the village. I think that was the only time he used my name rather than 'Pinkie'. 

"Coming!" I called, jogging to him. I heard rustling in behind me and turned around. I saw a flash of purple and blue green ombre. 'I'm seeing things' I thought to myself, and turned around back to Branch.

Branch's POV

"A few more minutes," I told Poppy as she walked behind me. She looked really excited, and I guess I was trapped in a pod, I would be too. We kept walking until the path seemed familiar to me. 

"Oh my gosh, I can't believe this is happening! I mean, I've dreamt about it for so long!" Poppy ranted. I chuckled, she was really hyper, one of the things I liked about her. "How many more minutes?" she asked.

"A few," I said.

"What's a few?"

"About 6 minutes."

"How about now?"

"Still 6."

"How about now?"

I looked at her, and she grinned innocently. I couldn't help but smile back. I wish everyone was this nice to me, but everyone hates me. Not only am I gray, but I'm accused of kidnapping! I guess my dream, if I sang back in the tavern, would be that everyone would accept me. I sighed, knowing I have to accept the fact that until the princess returned, people would think of me as a criminal, and there's nothing I can do about it. Even then, my colors will never come back... and people don't accept gray trolls. That is a fact, and I don't think anyone is different except Poppy. But she has never been exposed to the world, and once she is, I think I'll lose my only friend.

I tensed, knowing we would have to be careful to avoid being thrown in jail. I pushed aside some branches revealing the scene of the huge pod in the center and lots of little ones surrounding it. Poppy gasped and ran toward it. "POPPY WAIT!" I yelled, and she halted and turned around.

"What?" she asked. 

"Remember, the kingdom doesn't really... like me," I said.

"Oh. Right," she said. We walked along the bridge, and Poppy walked quicker than me. Petal buzzed around her head, probably as excited as she was. I saw another wanted poster of me and quickly took it down, tossing it over the side of the bridge into the water. Poppy ran back to me and dragged me by my arm.

"Come on come on come on!" she exclaimed, rushing into the village gates. There was a lot to show her.

A/N I'm working on a drawing on the next chapter, but does anybody have ideas that would fit Poppy for a hairstyle? Other than a thick braid, what can 70 inches of hair fit into? (Yeah, they are troll sized)

I seriously love the kingdom dance scene, it's great! But I'm gonna mash Trolls into it too! Can't wait to publish!