CHAPTER 7

*****************************

Chapter 7

By the time Math period ended, I was flooding the school with my tears of happiness. Okay, that’s not technically true but you get the point.

Anyway, I was too preoccupied to even celebrate that I survived an hour of it because of a certain blonde hair and blue eyed boy. It was really hard paying attention to class when all I could think about was how he suddenly acts so cautious around me and it doesn’t help when he just drops these strange comments out of nowhere. If he wanted me to know something, then he could just tell it right to my face. But no, he had to be oh so mysterious about it like I had to decipher it out of him. Like come on, I’m not Sherlock Holmes for crying out loud.

 So when we were out of the door, I was a girl on a mission.

Nick was already heading towards his locker when I stopped right in front of him. He almost collided with me, but thankfully he was quick to respond and stopped just a few steps from where I was standing. “Whoa. That was a close one,” he chuckled.

I folded my arms and stood up straight so I’ll look more intimidating, but obviously that didn’t work since he was inches taller than me. “I want to ask you something and I need you to be honest.”

His face immediately turned serious as the words came out of my mouth. “Depends on your question.”

 I knew he was going to say that and I know that he wouldn’t bother asking my questions, but I’ll just take my chances anyway. “Is there something you want to tell me?” I asked.

He eyed me for a few seconds, and then started laughing. “Of all the things you could’ve asked. That’s it?” I glared at him, but he just smirked. “Now, why would you come to that conclusion?”

“No, you don’t get to answer my question with another question,” I protested. “Now answer me.”

“Well, if it makes you happy then my answer’s no. There’s nothing to tell actually.”

I narrowed my eyes. “You’re lying.”

He shook his head and walked past me as he went to his locker. “No, I’m not.”

“Well, then care to explain why you’re giving me these weird hints?”

He sighed and started shoving books in his locker. “You’re just over thinking things, that’s why.”

“No, I’m not!” He gave me a look. “Okay, maybe a little. You don’t want to tell me what it is? Fine! But I know there is something you’re hiding from me and don’t even try to deny it.”

He snorted and went off ignoring me.

 It doesn’t take a genius to figure out that there is something that he’s not telling me. I mean, it couldn’t be that bad, right? Well, now that I’ve thought about it, if he’s really holding back and not telling me, then maybe it is really that bad. If that’s the case then…

“It’s about the fight between our families,” I say quietly.

Nick’s jaw clenched as he slowly turned around. He stared at me and I stared back. We haven’t really talked face to face about it openly. Well, there was never an opportunity anyway, until now.

“What do you mean?” he asks.

“Our families have hated each other’s guts for a long time so it’s only reasonable that you hate me too,” I explain.