• THREE •

2014

2014

Cassandra paid for admission into the museum, and bought a map. She'd never been to the Smithsonian, and she didn't want to get lost. She pulled her glasses father down her face, making sure nobody could recognize her.

After New York, the Avengers had become quite popular. She even had an action figure, she kept it on her work desk. People noticed her, they always made a big deal, wanting pictures, wanting autographs. She wasn't used to being noticed, and she wasn't really comfortable with being the center of attention, but it wasn't like she could just stay in her aprtment forever. So she put glasses over her face, and wore hats at times. She didn't like hats that much, so she usually only had glasses on.

She finally reached the Captain America exhibit, looking around. She felt overwhelmed, there were a lot of people, but she shoved that feeling farther into her gut, ignoring it and stepping forward farther into the exhibit.

There was a whole wall dedicated to the Howling Commandos. She noticed her face on the wall, smiling when she saw her outfit. Her jacket looked new, meaning they'd probably replicated it. James' costume was there as well, and she wished she could reach out and touch the leather jacket he'd worn. It wasn't his, it was a replica, but it made her feel no more nostalgic.

"Denied enlistment due to poor health, Steven Rogers was chosen for a program unique in the annals of American warfare. One that would transform him into the world's first super soldier," a male voice informed over the speakers.

A little girl with chestnut colored hair, and baby blue eyes looking bored, was staring at the people. Cassandra's glasses were scratching her, so she took them off, making sure her head was down. The girl, however was shorter than her, so she could clearly see her face. The child's eyes widened, and her jaw dropped.

Cassandra gave her a small smile, and put a finger to her lips. The girl nodded, still staring. Cassandra winked at the girl, and turned away. She could feel the child's eyes still looking at her, and she heard a woman's voice tell the children that staring was rude.

Cassandra looked around, her eyes catching her brother's face. She slowly walked up to it before she knew she had, and was reading the wall.

"Best friends since childhood, Bucky Barnes and Steven Rogers were inseparable on both schoolyard and battlefield. Barnes is the only Howling Commando to give his life in service of his country."

Cassandra smiled sadly, watching the clips of her brother with Steve, and she saw herself, she saw Lucy for the first time in almost seventy years. Her eyes turned glassy, and she turned away before she could cry in public. A tap on her shoulder woke her from her depressed trance, and she snapped around.