Chapter 1 - Demonic Lord

The demonic cultivator known as Wei Wuxian is dead.

Ignorant as he was, Wei Wuxian went against his teachings and studied the forbidden cultivation. His death could've been avoidable, but as a result of Wei Wuxian's rebellious nature, he destroyed his life, along with his once high-grade reputation in the cultivation world.

Wei Wuxian didn't expect his downfall would be by his own people, for his heart was in the right place. He thought he could help better their lives if he'd chosen a different path. He wanted to do good. Except, others failed to perceive it that way. No one could blame them either, for they were afraid of Wei Wuxian's great power, afraid he might one day turn against them.

Though Wei Wuxian had never allowed the dark energy to consume him, some of the higher cultivators - despite wanting him dead, secretly envied him. The envy grew so deep, disciples from every sect banded together in goals of ending Wei Wuxian's life for good.

The battle between Wei Wuxian's one-man army and the entire cultivation world lasted several nights. In the end, Wei Wuxian succumbed.

The cultivation realm succeeded.

In spite of everything, Wei Wuxian didn't have to die. Lan Wangji - Wei Wuxian's best friend and cultivation partner at the time, attempted to warn him, but the naive Wei Wuxian didn't listen. Perhaps if he did, he would've still been alive.

Wei Wuxian had always sought Lan Wangji as a brother, yet Lan Wangji's intentions were anything but brotherly. During their countless night hunts together, Lan Wangji had fallen in love with the wayward young man.

However, Lan Wangji was too embarrassed to express his hidden emotions. So he kept them to himself which cost him more in the end, considering if he had said something, maybe, just maybe, Wei Wuxian wouldn't have taken the wrong path.

Wei Wuxian had died before Lan Wangji had even gotten an opportunity to declare his love for the latter.

He left Lan Wangji lonely and heartbroken.

If Wei Wuxian had only listened, how things would've been different.

----------

In the aftermath of Wei Wuxian's death, Lan Wangji had searched every corner of the burial site where Wei Wuxian had been killed, still, Wei Wuxian's body was never discovered. Lan Wangji couldn't find a body even if he'd search for the remainder of his life, for Wei Wuxian's body was no longer in existence.

No one knew that the dark cultivation Wei Wuxian had been practicing was so powerful, that even in death, it would not let go of Wei Wuxian's soul. So when he died, the dark energy demolished his corpse, leaving no trace of him behind.

----------

Lan Wangji had always been a well-respected cultivator amongst others within his clan - The Lan Clan Of Gusu. Granted that it was nothing unusual, as he was the nephew of the clan's leader, Lan Qiren. Each man from different sects had always held great admiration toward him and his brother, Lan Xichen, for their strict upbringing.

Regardless, that all switched years following Wei Wuxian's death when Lan Wangji too, had abandoned his righteous teachings and started studying dark cultivation, which ultimately compelled him to stray further and further near the sinister side.

It was entirely due to Lan Wangji's growing passion for resurrecting Wei Wuxian from the dead.

Lan Wangji spent all his time and energy studying whatever method possible to bring his companion back. He would ignore his uncle's and brother's continuous pleas to stop, for they were fearful the dark energy would destroy Lan Wangji the same way it had destroyed Wei Wuxian.

Only Lan Wangji knew better, he knew it never destroyed Wei Wuxian. Wei Wuxian had it under control, it was the jealous and fearful people who had assumed otherwise, prompting them to end his life.

----------

As the years progressed, Lan Wangji grew agitated, no matter how hard he worked, no matter what he performed, nothing worked. Nothing.

By then, no one had paid him no mind, for he was no longer the desired cultivator everyone looked up too. Lan Wangji had reduced himself to being called a lunatic, since he would always latch himself inside his Jingshi studying dark cultivation, disregarding the precious gifts life had to offer and neglecting his given responsibilities.

As a result of that, Lan Wangji had become the epicenter of gossip and name slandering. At the same time, he was still shown respect by others for his name as one of the two Jades Of Gusu Lan.

----------

One day, on the tenth year of Wei Wuxian's death anniversary, in his last thread of hope, Lan Wangji allowed the dark energy to absorb him.

When Lan Qiren and Lan Xichen had attempted to hinder him, it was too late. The darkness emptied itself inside Lan Wangji's body, his once golden orbs turned black as a starless night. There was nothing to look into anymore, for his core, along with his soul, had mutilated with the dark energy, creating a soulless monster.

That day, after hoarding in all those pent up frustrations throughout the years, Lan Wangji exploded similar to a lit firecracker.

That day was a dark day for Cloud Recesses - Lan Wangji's home.

Lan Wangji went the route he would someday grow to regret in the near future, a regret he would be obliged to live with forever, never mentioning it to another soul.

On that terrible day, with his own two hands, Lan Wangji took the life of his dearly beloved brother and uncle.

Lan Wangji snapped.

His family only wanted to help him, and what did he do? He took his suppressed frustration out on them and slaughtered them mercilessly. When he'd done his evil deed, Lan Wangji didn't bother to glance behind afterward, he was far too gone.

On that very day, Lan Wangji had given the disciples of Gusu, two options. Either stay by his side and allow him to continue in the uncle's footsteps, or, oppose him, and suffer the consequences that were soon to follow.

The disciples knew that that person was no longer the Jade Of Gusu Lan they had grown up with. This man with Lan Wangji's face was enormously eviler than the great Wei Wuxian himself. Lan Wangji was beyond saving. They were fearful of what he had become.

A minority of disciples fought, others heeded. The ones that fought died a torturous death, while the ones who stood by Lan Wangji's side were rewarded with promises of a better upbringing from the latter.

----------

Shortly afterward, Lan Wangji rebuilt Cloud Recesses.

The Cloud Recesses, which was once filled with tranquillity and light, transformed chaotic and gloomy to reflect Lan Wangji's new demeanor.

Meanwhile, news had spread regarding what the Jade Of Gusu Lan had done. The other sects didn't stand by and allowed Lan Wangji to do whatever he pleased. Instead, they banded together, the same way they had done once ten years ago when they killed Wei Wuxian.

High ranking cultivators from Yunmeng, the Nie, the Jin, and the Wen Sect marched to Gusu in anticipation of bringing Lan Wangji to his knees.

This time, however, they failed.

No one had expected for Lan Wangji to be remarkably potent. Wei Wuxian himself wasn't capable of harnessing the amount of dark energy that flows through Lan Wangji's veins.

Lan Wangji was terrifying.

Lan Wangji was the demonic cultivator.

Bichen, Lan Wangji's sword, which once forever was a fraction of him, was nowhere in sight when he literally crushed the cultivators with dark energy, who stormed his home, demanding that he surrender.

That day was another dark day.

From then onward, the Lan Clan became ruler of all the cultivation realm. The common people and the cultivators alike were feared that they were dictated by a maniac. A maniac who, after ten years, still sought out and failed to resurrect the previous demonic cultivator, Wei Wuxian.