Chapter 6 - I'm Sorry, Wei Ying

Numerous months - years even, Wei Wuxian couldn't tell, for he had lost track of time.

What is time?

Wei Wuxian could not know, time simply doesn't matter anymore.

Most would've assumed that he might've already crumbled to Lan Wangji, but Wei Wuxian didn't. If anything, he held upon his word, no matter how many accounts Lan Wangji gave a false threat to him, Wei Wuxian would not give in to the demonic cultivator's demands of loving him back.

Though Wei Wuxian endured Lan Wangji's revolting presence, he had become more distant, colorless, and lacking energy. Wei Wuxian completely gave up on living. There occurred times when Wei Wuxian sought to kill himself, unfortunately, Lan Wangji had always been around to stop him in the nick of time.

The suicidal endeavors repeated far too often till Lan Wangji decided to put a stop to it by threatening to end the lives of the people from Wei Wuxian's past sect, including his family.

The warning meant enough to make Wei Wuxian immediately stop and endure being held a prisoner once again for the sake of his loved ones.

----------

Lan Wangji took hold of Wei Wuxian's hand, leading him outside, where the demonic lord worked his dark magic to light up the skies with lanterns for their third anniversary.

"I love you." Lan Wangji said. Wei Wuxian could hear the pain in his voice, that's when Wei Wuxian saw it in his eyes, the slightest glint of gold peeping through the darkness. Wei Wuxian didn't reply, Lan Wangji repeated, "I love you." Placing his hand around Wei Wuxian's waist.

Wei Wuxian sighed, glancing up at the disappearing lanterns he was oh-so-familiar with, for Lan Wangji had been doing it every year on their anniversary.

"Lan Zhan?" Wei Wuxian said. Lan Wangji hummed, "I'm not going to run away." Lan Wangji smiled, pecking the top of Wei Wuxian's head. It's been years, Lan Wangji thought, and Wei Ying's finally giving in to him.

Wei Wuxian spoke again, "Lan Zhan, let me go. My soul is crying."

Though his non-existence crumbling heart could be heard from miles away, Lan Wangji didn't lash out, instead, he repeated, "I love you...Wei - Lan Ying, tell me you love me more than you hate me." Lan Wangji desperately begged with his hallowed eyes.

Wei Wuxian seized hold of Lan Wangji's hand and replied, "No." Not taking his eyes away from Lan Wangji's darkened pair.

Lan Wangji internally screamed.

----------

One day, another war against Lan Wangji transpired. Almost identical to the previous conflicts, Lan Wangji won without substantial difficulty.

However, unlike the others, this time, he didn't spare the lives of the innocent who resided within that sect, The Wen Sect.

Lan Wangji slaughtered them all.

All, except for a small child.

Lan Wangji knew the moment he'd graced his demon eyes upon the boy, he was obliged to shield the boy, the same way he had been protecting his stubborn husband.

Huddled in the far corner of broken debris, cold, crying, and starving, Lan Wangji carefully picked up the weeping boy and brought him back home where he had intentions of raising the young boy as his son, together with his Lan Ying.

A happy family Lan Wangji forever desired, perhaps, the boy was sent to him for Lan Wangji to get just that - a happy family.

Lan Wangji knew Wei Wuxian wouldn't object, he also knew the young boy would make Wei Wuxian grow less isolated and provide him something to live for, considering he was reluctant to live for Lan Wangji.