16 | holism

JUNE 5          

DAKOTA

It was pouring rain.

The windshield wipers of my old Mercedes-Benz were a blur of black as they whipped back and forth across the glass on the highest setting, but I still could barely see through the downpour. You'd think that after essentially spending my entire 18 years of life in Washington that I'd be used to the notoriously dreary and chilly month of June, but I wasn't. It still succeeded in pissing me off.

For starters, the rain ruined my hair. The dark curls had a mind of their own, and absentmindedly raking a hand through it wouldn't make them look any less unruly. The rain also tended to amplify my stormier emotions, especially now when the sky seemed to be crying.

Sighing, I regretted not appreciating the predictability of the weather in Los Angeles. The sight of the sun made the bad days a little better. But Washington's weather wasn't the only thing that was pissing me off, though. It didn't even start to scratch the surface. I might've written a mystery for television, but I'd never had any interest in solving real ones. Until now, apparently.

My conversation with Mike Bennett had cast a new dark shadow over Apex and my bond with Conrad Kane. In a perfect world, I would confront Conrad, but there was something sinister in the water and I didn't want to make any waves. After all, the main reason why I chose to partner with Conrad was because I trusted him. Vague accusations and rumors weren't enough of a reason to justify straining our relationship. Not yet, at least.

There were several parts to this mystery that I was missing, but understanding the individual parts wasn't enough. They couldn't exist independently. The whole was greater than the sum of the parts.

That was one of the reasons why I had decided that it was time to uncover Allix McGovern's obscure role in all of this. Allix was notoriously good at keeping her guard up, but I spent my days surrounded by quality actors and actresses. I could spot an act when I saw one, so I considered the playing field to be pretty damn even.

By the time I pulled into the McGovern's driveway, it was a little after ten o'clock. I killed the engine, the windshield wipers freezing in the middle. After taking a moment to absorb the melodic continuity of the nighttime rainfall, I hopped out of the car and braved the downpour.

Allix was already standing out on the covered front porch, having acknowledged my intentionally vague text with one of her own. Her blue eyes drilled into mine, concealing whatever concern or lack thereof she had for our situation.

"I usually don't show up places unannounced, but I needed to talk to you," I said, scaling the steps and leaving a comfortable distance between us.

"I don't mind," Allix replied, toying with a loose string on the sleeve of her oversized gray cardigan. The fabric hung off the sharp angles of her shoulders. "Is everything okay?"

"That's what I'm trying to figure out," I admitted and hesitated for a beat. I knew this conversation would disrupt the balance in our relationship, but dodging the question wouldn't get me anywhere. I didn't have another option, another avenue to pursue. "What do you know about Conrad Kane's personal life?"

If I caught Allix off-guard, she didn't show it. Even with the porch lights illuminating her sharp features in soft golden hues, the mask she appeared to be wearing this summer was icier than ever.

"You're asking the wrong person," she answered flatly.

"Really? I don't think I am."

Allix's mask cracked. Her jaw locked in a show of annoyance, something she rarely directed at me. But it was an indication that I was closing in on an explanation for her recent behavior.