Chapter 3: The Rendezvous

My pillow was soaking wet with the amount of tears I had shed, I had turned off all the lights in my room except one; the lamp on my side table cast weak light which did little to dwindle the darkness. This world was so different from my own, so cruel. I would never have expected such a thing to happen back home, and here all the rules were different, apparently it was allowed and even encouraged to play with other people's feelings. He wasn't the man I had made him out to be, I had been naive and silly and incredibly infatuated. I decided then that I was going to go back to work tomorrow and pretend as though nothing had happened today and that it hadn't affected me in anyway. I turned off my lamp and wiped off the remnants of foolish tears, the darkness around me engulfed me and I felt secure and calm in it, nobody could see me and I could see no one, it hid me from the world and the brutal world from me. I went to sleep for a while.

"Glenn? Glenn? Please, wake up." the voice was in my dream... no there was someone in my room, someone was trying to wake me up. Or was it a dream? Yes, a dream. I should keep on sleeping. And then I felt something on me, something warm... on my shoulder. "Glenn? Won't you wake up?" I heard a familiar voice, a lovely voice, a voice that sent thrills down my spine. It said my name again, "Glenn!" The warm hand rubbed my shoulder a little, was that an effort to wake me? No, it was a dream, it was John Ford on my side. I was dreaming of him, he wasn't hard and cruel now. He was gentle, kind. "Glenn?" He was calling out my name with concern and love. His hand felt so warm against my cold, deathly skin. I reached out with my other arm and touched his hand. He wrapped his hand around mine, all the while whispering, "Glenn. Glenn?" I took his hand and touched it to my lips, I had wanted to do that. It felt so real. It was as though he was in my bed, by my side. And then he kissed my ear, I turned my head in to my shoulder with pleasure of it. I could feel the warmth of his body emanating through my side, my dream was... intoxicating. I moved away a little so that I could make some space for him to lie with me and then I tugged at his arm, it didn't take long for him to join me in bed and then I felt his lips on mine again, it was an ecstasy to feel his lips on me again. "Wake up, Glenn. Look at me. You are not still sleeping are you?"

The question roused my befuddled senses a little, why was my dream John Ford being so sensible and present-minded? Shouldn't he wish that I keep sleeping? My eyes flew open suddenly, I couldn't see a thing, it was pitch black and then very slowly, as my eyes adjusted to the darkness, I saw the silhouette of a man in my bed. "Glenn, where's the switch of the lamp? Ah...I think I found it." And as the light turned on I was staring into the actual face of John Ford, this was no dream. I jumped out of my bed and fell on the floor with the shock of the realization. The impact hurt me badly. John got off the bed hurriedly and rushed to my side. "Are you ok,
Glenn? Did u hurt yourself? Let me see." He tried to turn me to a side but I brushed his hands away. "What are you doing in my room? How did you get into my apartment?!" I asked dumbfounded. His reply wasn't as extraordinary as the one I had been expecting. "James let me in. He was about to leave and was locking the door from the outside. I thought you weren't at home but he said you were sound asleep in your bed. I told him that I really had to see you and he said that maybe you'd still be awake and that I should go to your bedroom and try my luck." It all made sense now, I always left James to fetch for himself in my apartment, he had my spare apartment key and came and went as he pleased. "Oh", oh? I could only say oh?

"You are not mad, Glenn? Are you? Please, don't be mad. I already have a lot I have to apologize for." John was being very serious.

"Why did you get in my bed?!" I furiously asked for an explanation.

He chuckled, "You nearly forced me to!" I couldn't believe this was happening. I had actually pushed him into bed with me and had kissed his hand, he hadn't been a dream, he had been real.

"And the kiss on the ear?" I asked angrily.

"I was reciprocating the affection!" His reply brought an unwelcomed smile to my face and I tried my hardest to hide my reaction from him.

I should have died of humiliation at this point, first I was almost in tears when he had kissed me and hadn't meant it and now I had been literally welcoming his favors. He was looking at me in a certain way again, I realized that if I let it go on for long I would be begging him to kiss me and make love to me. So I tried to do the sensible thing, "I think we should get up. We have been sitting on the floor for some time now."

He followed my advice and got up but when I tried to do the same sharp pain shot up my hip, "Ouch! That hurts."

I rubbed against my thighs to ease the pain and as I was doing that John wrapped his arms around me and lifted me up in his arms and carried me to the bed. He lay me down on it gently and kneeled beside the bed himself. He looked into my eyes and held my gaze, "Glenn, what happened today was unforgivable but I want to apologize still. I didn't want to hurt you with that kiss and I am sorry if you were. I didn't kiss you as a joke Glenn, I kissed you because I wanted to kiss you."

I looked at him, "You lie!"

"Why do you think that?" he asked sincerely.

"You laughed with everyone else!" I pointed out accusingly.

"Yes, and that was another foolish thing I did today. You see, when I was kissing you the men in the back started to cheer and laugh assuming it was a joke and then the director got mad. I felt like a complete idiot for choosing to kiss you at that time but I couldn't help myself. I had found you so enchanting the other day at the party. I didn't know if I'd see you again and then I did, strange twist of fate that you should be working on the same movie as myself..."

"You wanted to see me again?" I was shocked with pleasure.

He smiled that endearing smile of his, "Yes, now I am going to be presumptuous here and suppose you like me a little too. You sighed when I was kissing Claire."

"I did", I felt that since he had confessed that he was interested in kissing me, I be honest with him as well.

"Why?" he asked me gently.

I was turning hot all over, "You know why..."

"Tell me."

"I think I love you" I sincerely felt the realization in that moment. He had come to me, he had apologized and he had actually kissed me because he had wanted to.

He smiled with genuine pleasure, "You don't know me very well, Glenn."

I replied sincerely, "I would like to..."

He smiled at that, his perfect teeth showed. "I want to get to know you as well." With that he bent his head over me and kissed me with fervent passion, I kissed him with uninhibited joy.