Chapter 4: To Fall in Love...

John was sun-bathing on the patio of his home in the Hollywood hills when I settled myself on his lap. He was only wearing boxer shorts. The sight of him in so little clothing did strange things to my insides. Even though his eyes were closed he wrapped both his arms around me and said, "Hello, beautiful!"

"How did you know it was me? I just arrived."

"I recognize the scent of you." For that I gave him a thorough kiss and the kiss landed on his smiling mouth.

"Guess who I saw in a shop today?" I asked him congenially.

"Who?"

"That blond you were with the first time I saw you!"

"Oh! Helen you mean. I can't really stand her, you know."

This surprised me immensely because in the two months that we had been going out the thought of that blond had often bothered me."Really? Why were you with her that night then?"

"Publicity, love. She and I had made a movie together and we had to be seen at a few parties together to get positive press for the film release." It was all clear now, I had believed that he was dating the woman but it was more of a business date, I was relieved. I didn't, however, tell John the coldness with which she had greeted me in the store. Since it was now common knowledge that I was John's girlfriend (courtesy of the ever-vigilant media) I was often recognized and jostled by fans and admirers. On occasion even John's peers stopped to talk with me. The blond had emulated John's other colleagues but unlike them she hadn't expressed any felicitation over our relationship but had spitefully informed me that John would get tired of me soon. I was sure she was still obsessed with him.

"What's wrong?" his concern showed on his face.

I smiled and brushed my hand through his thick, black hair, "Nothing! Absolutely nothing! In fact I am happy. I am happy with you. You are a wonderful man. Have I ever told you that? You are not vain and pompous like most people in Hollywood. You are down-to-earth and genuine."

He tightened his hold on me, "Come now, I am not all you make me out to be."

"Don't be so bashful. In the time that I have been with you I have realized that I was very intelligent to fall in love with a man like you."

"Yes, you were. I am lucky to have you in my life, Glenn. In this business it is so hard to separate what is real and what only appears to be so. I think I am a better man with you. I love you, Glenn."

My heart stopped for a minute and then it started to beat faster, stronger, "This is the first time you have said that to me."

"I know," he said looking into my eyes. He then put his hand on my neck and forced my face down and kissed me. I gave myself whole-heartedly to him and he embraced me and showed me how much he loved me.

*THE END*