The Niece

".... transplant reactions..... I'm glad it's adjusting well."

"..just wish .... Sharingan... Can't have everything...."

Sarada listened the conversation between Shisui-san and her mom with half an ear. She liked Shisui-san, like in a really fun older cousin way, despite the fact that he suddenly just appeared in their lives. Considering that there was time travel involved Sarada, he had literally just suddenly appeared in their lives.

She just found it a bit odd that her father's third cousin once removed was here in her home having dinner with them, while she was forbidden from even meeting his uncle. Sure, mom had explained her reasons and even father seemed to agree with her, but Sarada still felt that if Hokage-sama was fine with Himawari spending so much time with Uncle Itachi then Sarada should also be fine.

Hopefully, he recieved the 'get well soon' card Sarada sent through Himawari. She wondered if he liked it. It was a bit childish, but Sarada had worked really hard on it.

"... Sarada-chan?" Shisui-san's voice broke her out of musings.

"Huh? What?" She replied intelligibily.

"How's it going at the academy?" Shisui-san repeated.

"Oh, it's fine." She answered, before throwing caution to the wind. "How is Uncle Itachi?"

Shisui-san smiled widely at her question, either oblivious to or completely ignoring the tension in the air increasing. "Uncle Itachi... I didn't think I would be hearing that in regards to him this soon. Anyway, he's doing well. He's even going to be discharged in the day or two. He's going to be living in my apartment. I was a bit nervous about asking first because, well, Hokage-sama had already offered Itachi to stay with him and his family but he really didn't mind when I asked. He's really a cool guy." He rambled.

Father snorted at that. It seemed a bit forced. "Really? Did getting new eyes make you blind? From what angle is that loser cool?"

"Hey, now you sound like Boruto-chan." Shisui-san protested.

This time it was Sarada who couldn't control her laughter. "Boruto-chan?"

"Whiny little boys get the 'chan' suffix. It's a rule. Isn't that right Sasuke-chan?" Shisui-san glanced at father.

"From my point of view, you are a whiny little boy right now, Shisui." Father raised an eyebrow.

"Oh my bad. Please accept my apologies, grandpa." Shisui-san replied, sending a wink in Sarada's direction.

The next day Sarada was running an errand to Auntie Ino's tea shop when she was suddenly scooped up into a hug.

"There my little Sarada-chan." Auntie Ino gushed, hugging her tight. "What are you here for?"

"To get the tea mom ordered." She replied, wondering what was Auntie Ino so happy about.

"We'll, I'll get you that, and your favourite tea, on the house."

Sarada wasn't one to refuse a free treat, but that didn't mean she couldn't be appreciative. "Really? What's the occasion?"

"Let's just say that your get well soon card, made a certain patient of mine very happy." Auntie Ino winked at her, walking towards the counter.

"What? Uncle Itachi is a your patient?" Sarada asked, as Auntie Ino poured her a cup of green matcha.

"You know I can't talk about that." Auntie Ino told her. "What I can about though, is that two days ago your mom was here and she told me that she'd be okay for you to visit Itachi and Shisui if your dad agreed to go with you. Here's your tea."

"What?" Sarada took a moment to register the last part, and took the tea gingerly. "Mom said that?"

"Yup. She was going to talk to your dad about that."

"And what did Papa say?"

"I can't talk about that. And that is very fine matcha that you're gulping down like common tea, young lady."

"Sorry, auntie." Sarada apologized. "It was really good."

"It's fine." She waved it away. "Run along now, don't forget your tea bags."

Sarada ran home, and entered to find her father scouring the kitchen cabinets. "Ah, Sarada. You're home. Do you know where your mom keeps the tea?"

She put the bags down on the counter. "Here."

"Thank you." Papa said, taking a matcha tea bag, one of Sarada's favourites, and started preparing tea.

"You're welcome. So, Papa, when we're you going to tell me that Mom allowed me to visit uncle Itachi as long as you come along?"

Papa stopped in his tea preparation. "Who told you that? Sakura?"

"No. Auntie Ino did."

Papa frowned at that answer. "You auntie Ino should learn to keep her nose out of other people's buisness."

"Don't talk to her like that." Sarada scowled. "And you didn't answer my question. When were you going to tell me?"

Papa sighed. "Today, actually."

Sarada blinked at that. "Today?"

"Yes, it's Itachi's birthday today and I was thinking of visiting myself."

"And you're telling me this now." Sarada squaked. "I'll have to make a card and get a present. Oh my god, I don't know where my glitters are and mom is at work..." She started opening the drawers in the living room, not finding anything

"Sarada, calm down." Papa called out as she ran towards her room.

"I don't need to calm down. I need to find my glitters." Sarada actually shrieked.

She was not ashamed. This was an emergency.