Happy Birthday Itachi

Itachi stared at the stick figure drawing of himself blowing candles on a birthday cake, and looked back at Shisui in bewilderment.

"What? You liked the 'get well soon' card Sarada-chan made for you, so much. I thought you'd like it if I made a birthday card for you. So, what do you think?" Shisui asked, grinning.

Itachi blinked. "Ah, thank you Shisui. I like it very much."

"Really? Will you be looking at it everyday in the mornings, like you do with Sarada-chan's card?" Shisui's grin grew larger. "Oh, don't worry. I also got you a present." He took out a wrapped package out of the kitchen drawer. "Here. Happy Birthday, Itachi."

"Thank you." Itachi said, accepted the gift. "You didn't have to get me anything, though. It's not really my birthday. The time travel and life preservation seals kind of make that a bit pointless."

"How could you say that?" Shisui gasped. "Birthdays as sacred institutions that couldn't be rendered pointless by anything, let alone a bit of time travel. I accept a really nice present on my birthday, just so you know. Now, open it."

Itachi could only obey. He unwrapped the present, to reveal a new Konoha forehead protector. Itachi stared at it.

"Hokage-sama helped me get it. He had you registered as a retired ninja." Shisui explained, suddenly sounding nervous.

Itachi swallowed, moving his finger over the shining metal. "Thank you, Shisui. I love it."

"Of course. You're welcome." Shisui answered, smiling softly, ignoring the moisture in Itachi's eyes.

They were interupted by a knock on the door and Itachi realised that Sasuke and Sarada were outside the door. He shared a confused glance with Shisui.

Shisui shrugged. "Maybe they're here to wish you a happy birthday."

Itachi found that unlikely but moved to open the door.

"Happy Birthday, Uncle Itachi." Sarada greeted him, as soon as he opened the door. Sasuke stood beside her stoically holding a box of dango.

"Thank you, Sarada-chan." He replied, accepting the card she was holding out. It was colorful and glittery, with the the words 'Happy Birthday' written in red and white. "Please come in, both of you." Itachi invited them in.

"Papa just told me an hour ago that it was your birthday." Sarada chimed in walking inside. "Hey, Shisui-san. Did you make that card?"

As Sarada walked over to Shisui, Sasuke handed Itachi the box of Dango. "Happy Birthday, aniki."

Itachi didn't miss the change in address as he took the box from Sasuke. It was hanami dango, his favourite. "Thank you, Sasuke. Those smell lovely."

Sasuke scoffed. "They're from Sarada. She spent the last hour searching her glitters, making you that card and interrogating me on your likes and dislikes. She reminds me of mom sometimes."

Itachi didn't know what to say to that without setting off any triggers.

Sasuke didn't wait for a reply and took out a wrapped package from under his cloak. "I got you this."

Itachi didn't comment, realising that this was more important to his brother than he was making it out to be. He opened the package which turned out to be navy blue high collared shirt with an uchiwa stitched on the back.

"I also wished to apologise for the other day. I shouldn't have burst in there and shouted at you when we had already agreed to put the past behind us. I'm sorry."

This was the second time Itachi had been struck speechless. His throat suddenly felt too dry.

"Thank..." He coughed. "Thank you, Sasuke. This means a lot to me."

Sasuke avoided his eyes but moved forwards and awkwardly put his arm around Itachi's shoulder, before moving towards the kitchen.

Itachi belatedly realised that because of Sasuke's absent arm, that may might have been a hug .