Chapter Seven- Pain

Gerard's rolling and unfocused eyes finally catch sight of me standing at the front of the crowd. "Seee?" he hiccups, pointing to me. "Fracknk knowwwwwwwwwwwww...."

A security guard approaches me, not unkindly, but is firm. "Do you know this man?"

I merely nod. "I serve him coffee."

"Do you know where he lives?" the guard asks me.

Regrettably, I shake my head. "I can take him to my house though."

"Please do anything you must. We have liability, and he needs to leave," the guard says, wringing his hands. "I warn you, this has happened before. I don't know if you know, but he's pretty much a bipolar drunk, so if you don't know what you're getting yourself into, we can always take him to the station for the night."

"The station? As in, police station?" I ask.

The guard nods grimly. "Unfortunately, the guys at the station are quite familiar with this situation. They've kept him overnight before and I'm sure they'd do it again."

I contemplate for a second. I've dealt with drunks before. You should see Jamia. She's a flaming volcano when she's drunk.

"No, I'll take him. I don't want him to stay down at the station," I reply. "He'll be in better care at my house anyway."

"I don't mean to put pressure on you," the guard says. "But would you mind leaving us your number as a contact for when this happens again?"

I don't like the way the guard says when and not if. However, I oblige and write it down for him.

"And now, out with him. Quickly please," the guard says.

I nod, carefully starting to approach Gerard. He gives me a big, drunken smile and tries to approach, tripping and falling forwards into my arms. I try to hold my breath. He fucking reeks.

"FrrAaaAAAnnkk," he hiccups.

"Hey Gerard," I reply gently. "Come with me."

"Whurrr weeegounnnn," he slurs out.

"Get you a drink. Lets go," I say.

He perks at the prospect of another drink, stumbling after me towards the door. I hear one guard let out a breath of relief, and I turn last minute. Ray catches my eye desperately, and I signal to him that I'll call him later.

If I ever get the chance.

I pull Gerard out into the freezing midnight air, and he instantly shivers. He doesn't have a coat. As much as I don't want my coat to reek of alcohol and body odor, I give it up to him. He pulls it sloppily over his shoulders.

I sigh, going over to help him fix it. As I pull the sleeves on, he smiles goofily at me. "Ahknewwww you wur gunnaacomeee," he says. "Knewwwww you wur gun be tharr to get meeeee."

The cold air is lessening his slur, instead prolonging the words but speaking more clearly.

I just smile and nod my head, zipping my jacket onto him. "Of course I'd be there."

"Yur too niceeee to me," Gerard says. "I'll only.... only hurt you."

"Nah, I'll be fine," I say. "Now come on."

"I wanna go home," Gerard whines. "I duntfeellllll goood."

"Well, I don't know where you live," I admit. "So I'm taking you to my house."

Suddenly Gerard rips away from me in rage. "Didn't you hear mee? I said I wanto go HOME. H-O-E-M... wait no... O-H-O-M-A...." he shakes his head in confusion. "Just ho-"