6: Sorry!! I ditched you

It's almost a week since our presentation was assigned and Jason didn't show up at library that day because he was in the football practice which I totally doubt. It's already 4 o'clock in the evening..

My phone buzzed and a text popped up ," Naydelin or should I call you neighbour? Why don't you come to my place and we can talk about the project."

He must've got my number from Brie and I'm pretty free today so I replied," I'll be there in 10 minutes just for the PROJECT.

After I saved his number as Jasonnying. Getting quickly changed in a printed tee, a black skirt, and a denim jacket to complete the look, I went downstairs.

"Sir, I'm trying to pay it on time, I just need a week and then I'll pay you full," Mom was walking here and there while talking on the phone.

I stood there for a while until she was done with the call. " Mom, is everything alright?"

"Yeah. Nothing I couldn't handle," she puffed as if it was nothing serious but I could feel her so tensed a while ago.

"Oh my sweet Mommy, your daughter is adult now and you can share any problems with me, I might be of help as well," I assured her taking her hands and squeezing a bit before giving a genuine smile.

"It's about the loan I took for this house because all the money went to hospital for your father's treatment. I thought I would pay it on time since I got this promotion but it's not been enough," mom sighed after talking her heart out.

"Wait. Does that mean you lied to me about getting this house in an affordable price without taking loan?", I asked her being slightly disappointed.

"I didn't want you to worry about these stuffs, you should be focusing on your study, Sweet pea. But, if we are not able to pay the loan in a month, they would take the house," her eyes were glistening with tears which she was trying so hard to hold.

My heart ached to watch her this helpless, she tried to handle this on her own. Sometimes, I'm so angry at cancer for taking my father away from me, I knew we were very close but I don't seem to have much memories of him,according to mom, I couldn't handle the shock and it's my mind defense mechanism.

"Mom, Why don't I start doing a part time job, so you don't have to think about my spending, as I was born smart, it wouldn't affect my study at all," I assured mom whilst setting the plates on the table to have egg and toast.

"But honey-"

"Okay then, we got this Mom, now you should cheer up and have this," I stopped her in the middle and pushed the plate towards her.

"Where would I find a job now?"

There are so many cafeteria near the college, I should try getting a waitress job in one of them. If I get the job, it'll be pretty easy since it's near the college. Keeping that in mind, I went to the bus stop nearby and took a bus to my college.

***

"Hello, Ma'am Is there a part time waitress job in here?" I asked her sincerely.

"Are you a highschool student?," she asked while managing some papers in the counter not even giving me a single glance.

"Yes ma'am, I study here in Granite High so I won't be late and cause any problems," I told her which by the way is true.

"I'm sorry but I stopped taking highschool student since one of them caused a huge ruckus in here and so much damage was done and I have enough employees now," she said looking at me with her narrow eyes and fake small smile.

This is the sixth cafe which rejected me till now with some random reasons. As I was about to leave this place, one of the waitress of the cafe stopped me.

"You just got here at the right time, I'm about to quit and I was really worried because our owner has quite a temper so you should stay inside till I talk to her then she might give you the job," the lady suggested me and I nodded hoping this would go well.

I bought an Americano and stayed in the table near the counter and watched her approach the owner.

"Courtney, I have something to tell you," she said which I can hear clearly because I'm near the counter.

"Don't tell me you're taking a leave again," Courtney complained looking clearly frustrated.

"Actually, I'm quitting."

"What?? You can't quit right now? This cafe is running real good now and you are about to quit. Where would I find a employee to replace you right away", she was basically screaming this time.

"There was this girl who just came looking for a part time job, you can give her the job," the waitress said calmly.

"She's already gone after I hushed her." Courtney said waving her hands and again back to managing the money in the counter.

"No, she's here having coffee, go and give her the job," I was right in time to sip my coffee and act like I was enjoying and not eavesdropping their conversation.

"Hey, you highschool girl," Courtney called me with zero politeness.

"Yes, Ma'am" I replied because I need this job.

"Can you work from tomorrow?"

"Sure, Ma'am" I was so fucking happy that I got the job.

"You can call me Courtney and don't make me regret this."

"I won't and thank you Courtney," I said and left the cafe and got on a bus to return home.

When I got off in my stop, it was dark already. I checked my pocket for the phone but it wasn't there. Good Nay, you forgot your phone at home. As I was standing there and checking both pockets of the jacket, I heard a camera clicking photo. I looked left just to find absolutely no one in there. The reason I'm hearing things is because I'm so tired, I thought to myself while walking slowly towards home.

While walking down the road, I heard a particular footsteps following me. Like there are also some people walking but the footsteps slows down if I walk slow and then catch up if I walk fast. I turned around two times but I only saw a old lady first and no one at the second time.

What if he's a psychopath who kills people for fun. Nay, you seriously need to stop watching serial killer documentaries. A hand on my shoulders broke my thoughts sending chills down my spine. As I was about to flip him down, I knew him from his voice.

"Sunshine, Why did you ditch me?" I can feel his breath in my neck. I hate to admit it but I'm feeling really safe since Jason is here. Then I realised that I forgot to text him that I won't come since I was in a hurry.

Taking a step forward, I turned to face him," I'm sorry, something important came up and I forgot to text you" I told him while meddling a stone with my legs and keeping my eyes down beacaue I'm embarrassed. I was the one who blackmailed him into doing the project and now I'm being careless.

"No worries, let's get going," he said before walking without waiting for me and I had to do a quick run to catch up to him.

I was expecting him to be whiny but he took the matter as a mature person which made me doubt if he's really Jason for a second.

Please vote and comment if you enjoyed reading this chapter!!