chapter eight: twinning

The week of Homecoming vibrates the school

The week of Homecoming vibrates the school. The school spirit of Fitzerbelle High is brighter than it usually is and, for the first time in two years, I feel the thrum of energy run through me.

Although the themes were simplistic, the seniors went all out this week, making the energy light up throughout the halls even more. On Monday, it was a regular school spirit day, and Axel had fun walking through the school with the rest of the (albeit outdated) baseball team in their Varsity jackets. Next was Tropical Tuesday, where the package of coconuts Damian brought had shed throughout the interior of Stella's car. Yesterday, Ryder walked into class wearing suspenders with dog prints on them for the animal theme, and I wore cat ears I will never wear again thanks to my brother.

Today is "Twin Thursday". The outfit Axel and I planned turned out better than I thought it would and there was a smile on my face I couldn't seem to make disappear.

Axel's red flannel was pulled over a plain white tee, blue jeans ripped slightly at the knee and his signature red converse. The black half heart dangled over his shirt and he made sure to keep it from falling under the fabric. I wore a white spaghetti tank underneath the pink flannel and a black belt with double silver holes for the buckle to hold my jeans up. Holes at the knees match Axel's. My plain converse go alright with the outfit, though I hope I can switch them out for new pink ones when I'm able to afford them. My necklace dangled over my chest like my twin's. The only difference between our outfits besides the color is the rose earrings hanging from my ears.

"I look like a fucking lumberjack," Axel complains on our way to our lockers. The sleeves of his flannel are pulled up to his elbows and he toys with the buttons.

"C'mon," I give his arm a shake in fake encouragement, "you look good." While constantly wearing matching outfits grew tiring throughout the years, the few times we do match feel exciting.

"Hell yeah I do." It does the job as Axel's mind boosts his ego. He bumps his shoulder into mine. "While we're here all dressed and pretty, the twins are looking like they walked out of Damian's closet."

Stella had to do a round trip to her locker right as we got to the building, so Damian followed her to borrow her spare eyeliner pen. Apparently they made a bet to see who could set up the best outfit, and when they realized both of their ideas were too good to choose from, they compromised.

I'm opening my locker across the hall from Axel's as the two of them round the corner. His immediate reaction to the twins is hooting down the hall, attracting attention. I smile, cheering quietly under my twin.

They went with a black color scheme, hence the "Damian's closet" comment. Both of them walk side by side, Stella's bag hanging by her shoulder and Damian carrying his down at his side. They match black cargo pants, although Damian's has a chain hanging from belt loops. There's distinct differences from both their outfits, though it matches perfectly. Stella has sunglasses holding her curls back, either to show off her silver eye shadow or keep her hair together. Damian's sunglasses cover his eyes and his own brown curls are prominent with gel.