Red Desert

There was a haunting knock on the door and everyone's breath was still. Not a single soul dared to move, except for one.

I crept my way forward and opened the door. The first thing my eyes focused on was the uniforms. Army. The second was the ribbon tied around the tree.
No, it wasn't possible. They had promised to come back.
"Mrs. (L/N)?" but I didn't hear the officer speak. "Mrs. (L/N)."

My eyes snapped to them, face already pale and eyes teary-eyed. He knew I already knew. "I sincerely apologize for your loss."

I shook my head, taking the dreaded note. "This can't be happening, officer..." I trailed off, opening that letter for what felt like the first time. Eyes scanned the page through tears, but one word caused me to halt.

Traitor.

"S-Sir?" I asked, breathless. "Traitor? Whatever do you mean?"

"They were a traitor, ma'am." The officer informed me. "You know what happens to traitors."

"That can't be possible! They loved this country and wouldn't dream of betraying our country-"

But my words were drowned out by the whispers behind me from my family. Then they got louder, and laughter mixed in with their words. Traitor. Traitor. Traitor. Traitor-

***

Eyes shot open and breathing was heavy. Tears dripped down (Y/N)'s cheeks. Another nightmare. Over the past year, ever since their partner had died, she's had similar nightmares.

If only they hadn't gone in to be the hero.

Sitting up softly, she let the tears fall. Her partner had left her to survive; she could never be mad at them, but she felt so lonely, yet she wasn't. Elliot was here.

Elliot, (Y/N)'s little boy had kept her sane through it all. It was just the two of them and their neighbors upstairs.

"Mommy?" came his soft little voice. She hadn't heard him open the door.

"Yes, sweet pea?" (Y/N) answered, turning on the bedside table lamp and light flooded the room. His green eyes stared up at the woman, full of questions.

"Are you okay? I heard you crying."

Even at six, he was already such an empath. He knew when she needed him, and (Y/N) was grateful for that. She gently picked him up so he could join her, and he wiped away the tears he could see. "I'm fine now, baby. Promise. Just a bad dream."

Elliot understood that. It was only 5:30 AM, and (Y/N) knew she could get more sleep but didn't feel there was a point in getting another hour. They were both up, so they might as well start getting ready.

"Hungry for breakfast, sweet pea?" She asked, and Elliot enthusiastically nodded. Good start to a better day. Together they went to the kitchen, and (Y/N) pulled out the ingredients to make pancakes. Elliot wanted to help, so she let him mix the batter as best he could without her help. Finally, she finished them and set the plates on the counter.

They ate on the couch as they watched Monday morning cartoons in peace. These moments were what (Y/N) craved; just being in peace. However, it was over as soon as it started. She washed the dishes and put them away while Elliot dressed before she slipped off to get dressed.

"Mommy, am I going to Uncle John's today?" Elliot asked, and (Y/N) nodded.
John Watson had been good to them. He had been her partner's mate in the army, and (Y/N) was forever indebted to him for helping them move here. With his discharge, he had offered to babysit Elliot so she could get back to work.

"Yes, baby. Don't you like going to Uncle John's?" (Y/N) tilted her head at him.

"Of course, mommy." he let out a little giggle. "I like spending time with Uncle John."

(Y/N) chuckled. He definitely had a unique personality, and she loved him for that. Elliot was such a joy to be around.
"Have you got your shoes?"

"Mhm."

She set him on her bed and slipped on his shoes. Grabbing his toy bag, (Y/N) double-checked she had everything before grabbing Elliot's hand and locking the door. They made their way up the stairs, and already they could hear John and his flatmate arguing. The woman knocked and was soon greeted with the face of John Watson.

"Morning (Y/N)." he smiled, before leaning down to Elliot's height. "Good morning, Elliot." he ruffled his hair and Elliot giggled.

"Uncle John!" he cheered, holding his arms up. John picked him up and (Y/N) set the toy bag inside the doorframe.

"I'll see you both later, you have my number, so don't be afraid to text me." She reassured him, and John chuckled, shaking his head.
"I know, (Y/N). Elliot and I will be fine."

He was right. She knew they were gonna be fine as she giggled. "I know. Goodbye, sweet pea. I'll see you later."

"Bye, mommy." Elliot waved and (Y/N) disappeared down the stairs.

They were always fine. Today was just another normal day.

Oh, how wrong she would be.

Won't you leave all your fears at the edge of the world

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A.N: Hello everyone! It's been a while since I wrote anything Sherlock related, let alone post any new stories on my account. I just get major writer's block when I finally get around to writing.

I apologize for the writing of this chapter; I was working on the second one and went back to change this one to match the second one, and so it might read a bit awkwardly. The writing gets better as the story goes on, I can promise you that.

I'm excited to bring to you C A L M! I've already listened to the whole album over and over and I love the songs in this one and knew I had to use it for a story. I can't wait to see where this goes.

If you haven't already, you can check out my other two Sherlock stories, 'Youngblood' and 'Keys and Strings'. I'd really appreciate it.

Cheers to this new story and hopefully more in the future!

Until next time,

~Em