part 9; mutual

kenma's POV:

"Even if I don't, it'll be awkward,"

"It's pretty awkward now, too. Is it that bad?"

She nods. I start to flip through the possibilities. I'm not sure what she thinks she did so bad. She looks like she might cry or throw up or both, and I have the sudden urge to make her feel better.

"Would you leave if I told you something too?"

She looks up. "Of course not," her voice softens.

"Cause if it makes you feel any better, there's something embarrassing on my mind, too," if she can trust me with something that heavy and if Wednesday was really not what I thought it was, I can tell her how I feel about her. It's fair. Besides, she's gonna find out sooner or later.

"Ok, um," she laughs nervously. "Oh, god. I can't believe I'm saying this you're gonna think I'm so pathetic oh no oh no oh no," she mutters under her breath and shakes her head vigorously. "Ok. Aaaah. So, uh. kuroofoundooutandhestartedteasingmeaboutitiswearimnotdatingthatoaf,"

"Huh??"

She laughs nervously again and cracks her knuckles. "Kuroo found out and he started teasing me about it. I swear I'm not dating that oaf,"

"Found out?"

"Yeah, uh, this guy that I- that I sorta like," she mumbles.

Her words hit me like a truck.

"He uh, he was giving me advice I guess,"

I try to laugh lightly. "What, so am I a girl or something?"

"That's the thing. How... How can someone give another person advice about themself?"

Her words don't process in my head.

She laughs again. This time it's more frantic. "Ok, uh. I like you. And Kuroo wouldn't stop trying to make something happen. He was trying to make me less awkward, I guess," she turns pink. "I- I can't believe I just said all that. I'm sorry,"

 My heartbeat quickens. What? I take a second to process what she said. I feel a tingle growing in my feet and my fingertips. Biting the inside of my cheeks to stoop myself from grinning like an idiot, I meet her eyes.

"Wait, what?!"

"Yeah. You. I like you," she says boldly. 

"Like, like me?" I need to make sure I heard it right before I let myself get over excited. 

"Yes. I like like you. Like I have a.. a crush on you," she looks away.  

Her boldness fades a little. "I don't know how Kuroo found out, but he just did. I'm sorry for complicating things," 

"I- uhhh," I don't know what to say.

"He thought you liked me back or something, which is ridiculous" she continues. I'm not so sure why she thinks that it's ridiculous. 

"I want to know how Kuro can read my mind. It's creepy, isn't it? It bothers me," I let myself smile now. 

She pauses for a second and tilts her head. I can practically see the question marks floating around her head. I don't answer her silent questions and pick my phone up. 

kodzuken: guess what

y/n picks up her phone and frowns at me. I pretend not to notice and continue typing. 

kodzuken: the girl i told u i liked 

kodzuken: i think i might have a chance with her now

I look up and y/n is staring at her phone with a look of amusement mixed with some confusion. 

ruizu: oh?

ruizu: details??

kodzuken: its kinda a long story

 kodzuken: but im over at her house rn

ruizu: sweet

ruizu: you should tell her straight up

ruizu: i think shes kinda confused rn idk

kodzuken: good idea 

kodzuken: brb

I get up from where I'm seated and sit close to her. The fuzzy fabric of her hoodie brushes against my arm. y/n leans her head against my shoulder and looks up at me with her wide and sparkly eyes. 

"My friend just gave me some pretty good advice," 

"Hmm?" 

"Yeah," I pick up a strand of her hair. "I think I should tell you something," 

"Maybe you should," 

"Promise you won't laugh?"

"Promise," 

"You are the most beautiful girl in the world," I close my eyes and bury my face in her sleeve. "And I think I really, really like you," 

"Think?" 

"Know," 

"Good," she squeezes my hand. "Cause same,"  

a/n: 

this chapter was slightly shorter than the others but i wanted to end it on a 'cute' note lol. hope you enjoyed!! thank you for reading xox