part 21; the L word

y/n's POV:

"DIE, SUCKER!" I screech obnoxiously while whacking the controller for donkey kong. 

"I don't think that that's necessary," Kenma stares at me with an amused expression. 

"Yes, it is. I'm unleashing my inner epic gamer boy. And I'm saying boy with an 'i''

"I see," he leans over my shoulder and frowns at the screen. "man, you suck,"

"SHUT UP,"

"Make me,"

I turn my head over my shoulder and plant a soft kiss on his lips and his grinning face relaxes. 

"That worked well," he smiles at me with an expression of tenderness and joy that's been becoming more frequent lately. 

I soon die, and after a few rounds of watching Kenma play street fighter, we leave the arcade. 

"So, I was on the phone with Kuro yesterday," he starts to say as we walk to the bus stop on the main street. 

I lift an eyebrow. Kuroo hasn't been keeping in touch for the past 2 months or so. 

"Yeah? What'd he say?"

"He wanted to know about me, you, us, and the team, but I think he was drunk. He wasn't responding properly," 

Kuroo's lack of communication with Kenma has been shaking him up pretty bad. He still texts from time to time, but as far as I know, they haven't had a normal conversation in the longest time. Kuroo was also supposed to come visit two weeks ago, but he bailed to go on a trip with his college friends. Kenma doesn't blame him; he's happy for him, but it's kind of pissing me off that Kuroo's being so douchebag-y. 

"Ah," 

"I told him we were doing good, and that the team's fine too, but then some guy with sunglasses and weird hair started talking to him, and so I just hung up,"

"Oh," I slip my hand into his. "don't worry about it, he's probably just trying everything out for the first time. It'll get better," 

He locks eyes with me and smiles. "You make everything better,"

"So do you," 

"I don't do anything,"

"Yes, you do. I love having you around," 

"So you love me," he grins.

"Obviously. You do too," 

"Yes. Obviously," he teases.

There it is again. We've repeatedly exchanged words of 'i love you', but they were only said in the way close friends love each other. Like a sibling type of love. I don't know what the other one is like, and my perception of 'love' is probably way off. But I'm sure I more than just 'like' Kenma. But it'll be terrifying to look someone in the eye and tell them that you love them. To tell Kenma that I think I love him like that is one thing, but those few long seconds spent waiting for his reply is probably going to be the most agonizing thing ever. And what if he doesn't feel the same? I'm going to ruin everything. 

"Kenma?"

"Hmm?"

"I love you," 

"So do I," he replies lightly, just like I expected him to. 

I stare at him a little longer and his calm expression wrinkles.

"Wait," he bites his lip. "like really?"

I nod a little. "Yes. I think so. I've never dated someone, so I have no idea how it's supposed to feel, but I definitely more than just like you,"

"So you're saying that you think you-"

"Love you," I interrupt, silently hoping my abrupt boldness would go away. 

"Actually," he says, smiling warmly. "I looked up the word 'love' because I was just as lost as you are. It means 'an intense feeling of deep affection'. I was way too scared to say it before, but now that you've said it first, I no longer have to risk getting embarrassed,"

"Jerk," I mumble softly, but I can feel myself flushing and getting all jittery. "never knew you could say so much in one sentence," 

He laughs lightly and leans in. "I love you," 

"I.. I love you too," 

He kisses me, and we stay that way, arms tangled around each other in the middle of the street, for a while. Then we walk home in silence, and he waves a small bye as he disappears through his front door. I let myself grin like a fool and skip back to my house.

About 20 minutes upon arriving home, I get a call from Kuroo. His head pops up on my laptop and he grins at me. 

"Hey!!"

"Hi. Are you drunk?" 

"What? No," 

"Okay. Is anyone with you?"

"No, why?"

"Ok. Never mind," 

"Okay? Anyways, is Kenma with you?"

"No, why?"

"I was hoping to talk to him, but he isn't picking up,"

Strange. I was just texting him. 

"Oh. I'm sure he'll pick up sooner or later," 

"I feel like he's avoiding me," 

"Pretty hard to stay close when you're somewhere else," 

Kuroo ignores my snarkiness. "Is he okay?"

"Yeah. He's fine," 

"Ok," 

If Kenma wants Kuroo to know that he's hurt by him, he'll tell him himself. It isn't my place to say anything. 

"Anyways, how's college?"

"Great," he grins. "packed to the brim with hot girls,"

"I refuse to believe that there is anyone there who's hotter than me,"

Kuroo rolls his eyes and laughs, and it almost sounds like he's here in person. "Believe what you want, but college is epic," 

"Alright then," 

We talk on the phone for an hour or two, until I tell him that I should get some sleep. I crawl under the covers, thinking back to earlier today. 

y/n: gn

kenma: sweet dreams

y/n: aww 

y/n: love you

kenma: i love you too