Chapter Twenty

In the Town Square, a group of volunteers are preparing the town for the Night of Illuminations. Some are hanging lanterns from the trees. Carol Lockwood is making a speech for the volunteers and the citizens.

"As a long-time member of the Historical Society, I am especially proud to be kicking off this day of festivities. Thank you, volunteers. Tonight, we turn off our town's lights and flare up our lanterns in honor of the night of illumination started by our founders 150 years ago. Here's founding family member Tobias Fell with a history lesson." Everyone applause. Alaric and Jeremy are stood together and listening to the speech.

"What are we doing here?" Jeremy asks Alaric.

"Tobias Fell is the head of the history department. I didn't have a choice." Alaric answers.

"All right, that explains what you're doing here." Jeremy counters. Alaric smirks at him.

"Well, I'm the one who can fail you if you don't help me out." He points out, Jeremy nods a little. Elena joins them.

"Hey, sorry I'm late. What did I miss?" She asks them, Anna is standing behind Jeremy but only Jeremy can see her.

"Just a bunch of historical lies." Anna mumbles.

"You didn't miss anything," Jeremy answers Elena. Tobias Fell starts to give his speech.

"The first illumination was held in celebration with the newfound prosperity that Mystic Falls enjoyed after the war." Tobias states.

"After the founders stole from all the vampires," Anna adds. Jeremy laughs. Elena looks at him.

"What's so funny?" Elena asks him, Jeremy looks at the stage. Elena turns her head to look too. Anna keeps commenting on the speech.

"The founders, they placed lanterns over the doors to indicate that it was safe for their neighbors to come outside again." Tobias continues.

"Safe from the vampires." Anna counters. Jeremy smiles. Anna smiles too, looks at him, and takes his hand.

" That night was an opportunity for the community of Mystic Falls to come together, a chance to strengthen ties with neighbors, business owners, and the..."

...........

Close by the where Alaric is standing with Jeremy and Elena, Caroline is helping Bonnie to hang lanterns from the trees.

"So when you did the spell to send Vicki away, did that get rid of Anna, too?" Caroline asks her.

"I wish. All I did was block the magic that was helping Vicki get a physical foothold here. Jeremy's still got a direct line to the other side, and as long as he wants to see Anna and she wants to see him, she's still here."

"Okay, you don't think I can actually resist commenting on that," Caroline warns slightly.

"There. You commented."

"Bonnie..."

"What do you want me to say, Caroline? I went against the balance of nature when I brought Jeremy back to life, and now I'm paying the consequences."

"Well, I want you to say you're not okay with it."

"I'm a thousand times not okay with it. I just don't know what to do about it." Bonnie offers as Damon pulls up near them in his car.

"Greetings, blondie. Witchy. I think you got your voodoo wires all crossed when you got rid of Vicki Donovan." He offers them.

"What do you mean, why?"

"Because I'm pretty sure Diana just almost got spit-roasted by Eva's ghost," Damon admits.

"What? Is she okay?" Bonnie asks.