Chapter Forty-One

A/N - JUST REALISEd THAT ALARIC DYING IS THE END OF THE SEASON, I DON'T KNOW WHY I THOUGHT THERE WAS MORE AFTER IT. MY PREVIOUS QUESTION IS THEREFORE POINTLESS LOL BUT THANKS FOR THE REPLIES. 

Diana unlocks her jeep and lets out a breath, her hand on her bump. She lets out another breath and closes her eyes. Behind her, Elena is setting her bag into Damon's car for their road trip. Elena looks across at Diana and then moves towards her.

"Di?" Elena asks, Diana hums a little and then turns to her.

"Hey" Diana greets. "I was just dropping some things off for Ric" She points out. Elena nods. "Be careful, and all that, on your trip with Damon" Diana adds.

"Are you okay with this trip?"

"Yeah, of course, just bring Jeremy home...make sure that ring can't screw up anyone else's life" Diana answers, her fingers curling into the cloth of her jacket pocket.

"But what about Damon..."

"Elena" Diana whispers in warning. "I think you and Damon need this trip, to figure out whatever is going on with you two....and since when have you ever asked my approval of anything?" Elena shrugs a little. 

"I don't know what I want, Di," Elena tells her back.

"Yeah, well...figure it out" Diana looks back at the boarding house. "Before it's too late, before....you get hurt...." Elena steps closer to her and hugs Diana, Diana lets out a soft breath and hugs her back. Diana rubs her back when Elena pulls away.

"You okay?" Elena asks her, Diana nods.

"My back is just killing me" Diana complains. "I am hauling around two small pumpkins that don't like to sit still" she shrugs a little.

"I'm so sorry, Diana" Elena whispers. "All of this...." Diana shrugs.

"I don't really want to talk about it" Diana scolds her. "What I want is my husband back...." Elena nods a little. Anyone can understand that. She wants to be able to have her children with her husband sane at her side. None of that is likely to happen now, with her due date right around the corner and Alaric still losing his mind. "I have to go" Diana adds. "I can't be around any of you right now...It's just..." She shrugs. "I just need to go" Diana turns and climbs into her jeep.

..............

Stefan enters the basement and goes over to the cellar which Alaric is being kept in. Alaric is lying on the cot with his eyes closed.

"Do you know how hard it is to fall asleep when that is what you're supposed to do?" Alaric asks.

"Well, look, I know it's not easy so" Stefan holds up a whiskey bottle. "Damon suggested that I bring something to help speed up the process."

"What the hell." Alaric sits up and puts the 'Moby Dick' book that's open on his chest on the bed next to him as Stefan enters the cell. He hands the bottle to Alaric and goes to grab a chair. "You know, I'll feel decidedly less pathetic if I don't drink alone."

"Oh, I am one step ahead of you," Stefan assures him, he shows Alaric a glass and sits down in the chair. He holds his glass out and Alaric pours some whiskey in it. They both drink, Stefan from the glass, and Alaric from the bottle.

"So, road trip, huh?" Alaric asks him.

"Yeah, I needed to stay here."

"Why? I mean, why you? You know, it doesn't take much to babysit me while I sit here waiting for a psychotic break."

"Well, unfortunately, we only have a limited amount of time." Stefan answers.

"Before what?"

"Before we have to resort to other methods."