Chapter Forty

A/N - I HAVE BEEN DEBATING WHETHER TO END THIS BOOK AT THE END OF THE SEASON, AS I HAVE BEEN DOING, OR TO END IT WITH ALARIC'S TEMPORARY DEATH. PART OF ME LIKES THE IDEA OF DOING IT AT THE DEATH BECAUSE THE NEXT BOOK WOULD CONCENTRATE ON DIANA'S GRIEF AND HER STRUGGLE AT RAISING THE TWINS ALONE.....BUT WHAT DO YOU GUYS THINK???

After learning that Klaus has Damon, and that Bonnie helped unlink the Originals siblings, Stefan intends on going after Klaus himself. Stefan is leaving the boarding house, Elena following behind him.

"Stay with Caroline. I'll call you when it's over." Stefan orders of Elena.

"Stefan, stop. Klaus is stronger than you, we need another plan."

"What we need is for Klaus to be dead." Stefan points out. Elena grabs Stefan and turns him around.

"Stefan, stop it! You're acting on anger!

"Anger gets things done, Elena!

"Or it'll get you killed! It'll get Damon killed along with you."

"Klaus does not get to survive this. Not after everything he took from me." Stefan then turns to Elena. "You should be all for this; after what he did to Diana...." Stefan walks out and slams the door. Elena flinches. Caroline enters the front hall.

"I miss well-adjusted Stefan." Caroline admits. Suddenly, the door flies open and Stefan is thrown through it. Sage enters the house.

"Ding dong." Sage states. Caroline goes to attack her, but Sage throws her to the ground. "I'm not here for you. I'm here for him." Elena runs to the front door, but Troy blocks her path.

"I don't think so." Sage approaches Stefan.

"I had to kill him, Sage." Stefan admits.

"Oh, you remember me." She goes to kick Stefan but a golden rope wraps around her from behind. Diana stands at the other end and yanks Sage away from him. Sage stumbles backwards and then starts to cough and her nose starts to bleed. Stefan looks up at her.

"Sage?" Troy asks. Stefan gets to his feet. Sage throws a punch at Stefan, but Stefan grabs her fist and throws her to the ground. She starts coughing up blood.

"Troy, help me!" Troy releases Elena and rushes over to Sage. He bends over and coughs up blood as well. "What is happening to me?" Sage asks as she and Troy die before them.

"She just died!" Elena points out.

"So, Sage and this Troy guy die within an hour of Finn." Caroline adds.

"But why? Were they bitten by a hybrid or..?" Elena asks.

"Hybrid bites don't look like that. Maybe Sage was so in love with Finn she just died of sadness."

"No, that doesn't explain Troy."

"It's the blood" Diana admits, they look at her. "The bloodline." She adds. Finn turned Sage, Sage turned Troy." She explains. "They're all part of the same vampire bloodline that originated with Finn."

"Wait, so when an Original dies every vampire turned from their bloodline dies along with them? Because that would mean..." Caroline asks her.

"If the Originals die, so do all of you. The entire vampire species would...it'd just be dead." Diana points out.

"Did you know this?" Elena asks her.

"Yes" Diana answers and notes their looks. "If I had told you; you would not kill Klaus...Klaus has to die; regardless of the consequences....." she turns and walks away from them.

.............

Damon knocks on the door of Alaric and Diana's apartment, Alaric answers looking like shit, his hair all mussed up, his eyes bleary, it turns out, being away from Diana, bad for his sleeping patterns, that and the homicidal counter part.