Awakening

Wendy walked into Natsu's house. Instantly, she was greeted with several smoldering piles of clothes laying all over the floor. It was to such an extent, that the dirty clothes seemed to function as its very own makeshift carpet. In addition, there were various empty cans and bottles sprawled out across the floor as well. Wendy clasped her hands over her nose as the stench assaulted her nostrils.

Natsu sat down on the couch with thee baby in his arms. "Well, go ahead and make yourself at home, Wendy."

"I'll try," Wendy said with a light giggle, slowly taking her hands away from her nose. Then, she walked over to Natsu and sat down right next to him. She stared at the baby with adoring eyes. "He's really cute, isn't he?"

Before Natsu even had a chance to reply, the baby began to emulate a crying sound.

"WAHHHHHHHHH!"

Natsu covered his ears in response. "Agh! It's so loud!"

"I know," Wendy winced as her sensitive dragon ears rang in pain.

"What do we do, Wendy?!"

Wendy rubbed her cheek a bit bashfully. "Um, I don't know. I've never done anything like this before..."

"WAHHHHHHHHHHHH!"

"Make it stop!"

"Um, okay, let's see..." Wendy tapped her lips in thought. "Okay, hand him to me, Natsu."

"Here you go," Natsu quickly handed the doll over to Wendy, admittedly a bit happy to finally get it off his hands.

Wendy cradled the baby in her arms. She began to gently swing it from side to side. And in a soft soothing voice, she uttered. "There there. It's okay, it's okay."

Soon enough, the baby's crying had died down much to the dragon slayer pair's surprise. "Wow, it worked," Natsu said in amazement.

Wendy nodded, "Yeah."

"How did you know to do that, Wendy?"

"I don't know," Wendy admitted with a bashful smile. "It just kind of came to me."

"Wow," Natsu gawked at Wendy for quite a bit. "You're like the perfect mother, Wendy."

"W-w-w-w-what?!" Wendy stammered as she felt her face heat up and her cheeks flush red.

"I said you'd be a perfect mother," Natsu repeated himself nonchalantly.

Wendy's face only heated up more thanks to that and steam came out of her ears. "N-Natsu!"

Natsu cocked an eyebrow in confusion. "What?" Then, he studied for face for abit before leaning in closer to her. "Hey? You okay?"

"Uh-huh!" She nodded rapidly as she held the baby in between their faces.

Then, the baby began to cry again. The bawling assaulted Natsu's eardrums and so he used his hands as makeshift headphones yet again. "Agh! Damn it! What does it want now?!"

Wendy put a finger to her lips as she pondered. "Hm, maybe he's hungry?"

"He's not the only one," Natsu said, rubbing his belly in a circular motion. "Well, I've got a lot of fish in the fridge."

"I don't think he can eat that..."

"Why not? Happy ate it when he was a baby."

"Happy's a cat, Natsu," Wendy reminded the fire dragon slayer. "I'm pretty sure it's different for human babies."

Natsu rubbed his chin for a bit, but eventually just leaned back and folded his arms. "If you say so..."

"Do you have any milk?" Wendy asked, setting the baby doll on her lap.

Natsu shook his head. "Nah, I drank the last of it yesterday."

"Guess we'll just have to go shopping then. We should get a bottle while we're there too."

"A bottle? Why can't he just drink out of a cup like everybody else?"

"He's a baby, Natsu..."

Natsu and Wendy were walking through the grocery store when they came to a steel rack displaying several rows of baby bottles. Natsu leaned down, staring at the objects with fascination. "So, these are what they look like, huh? Wonder if should get one for myself."

Natsu had unknowingly drawn the attention of several of the other customers. Wendy pulled on Natsu's sleeve and whispered in his ear. "Natsu, people are staring."

"Oh they are, huh?" Natsu turned around to face the other customers and raised his fist as it lit on fire. "What'cha looking at, huh?! HUH?!"

"Natsu!" Wendy grasped onto his arm and his flames dispersed.

"What?"

"You're scaring them," Wendy said.

"Natsu just huffed and crossed his arms. "They asked for it."

Wendy tugged on Natsu's sleeve again. "Come on, let's just pick out a bottle for the baby."

"Alright," Natsu obliged, but not without giving one last stink eye to all those nosy customers.

The two looked over the shelf for a bottle that suited their fancy. Natsu picked up and old and ragged bottle that was stained with large spots of dust. "It looks pretty unique."

"It definitely does." Wendy made an awkward chuckle while staring at the dirty bottle.

"So, do we have a winner?"

Wendy turned her gaze back to the rack of multiple cleaner bottles stood. "Maybe we should keep looking. Just in case."

"Alright, but I don't think we'll find one that stands out more than this," Natsu said, putting the bottle back on the shelf.

A few minutes passed and eventually, Natsu and Wendy had found a clean bottle that was decorated with all sorts of colored polka dots. They took it up to the front counter to check out. Wendy handed the clerk the colorful bottle.

However, the clerk couldn't help but be a bit stunned at what she had just been given by such a young girl. She looked down at Wendy and frowned. "Are you doing okay, sweetie?"

"Huh?" Wendy cocked her head to the side. "Yeah, I'm fine."

"Just let me know if you need any help, okay?" The clerk reached into the glass container on the counter and pulled out a small piece of candy wrapped in tinfoil. She handed it to Wendy, much to her confusion.

"Hey Wendy? Do you know this lady?" Natsu asked, curiously.

Wendy shook her head. "No, I don't."

"That's strange. She seems to be really worried about you for some reason."