Chapter Eight

The two escapees traveled in wary silence and Lon chose a fresh path through open fields of sandy stone where he hoped they'd have more time to see the next foul thing that attacked. He marveled at how such an insignificant little sandbar could shelter so many carnivores and he worried the worst was yet to come.

The sun climbed higher and the rocks grew hotter. Both travelers were thirsty.  They traipsed along and the terrain changed to tenacious weeds and then fields of heather which grew ever-taller until the wild grass completely hid their surroundings. After some time in this suffocating pampas they happened upon a large shade tree.

"Can we... " Clyde huffed, "not just enjoy this damp coolness for a moment?"

Lon could see his companion was exhausted. He remembered how the fellow didn't get much sleep last night, and so he agreed. He circled around the leafy tree that he knew was a linden. It was softwood, the species had fat leaves and made pungent lumber. It was the only shade tree for some distance and one look at the matted ground told him some big animals frequently sheltered here.

Clyde rubbed his sore ankle which cued Lon to search for snakes. The old tree was still healthy however and after some inspection he decided it sheltered no threats. On the far side he spotted brambles with small berries which he recognized as redcaps, but the season had passed and all that remained were seedy tufts suitable only for birds.

"This tree will never wear Amon's Crown," Lon said as he surveyed the ball of leaves overhead.

"No its heavy limbs are upside down." Clyde agreed. He lay in the grass and closed his eyes.

The lad smiled at that. He was growing accustomed to his scholarly companion; he trusted him now, although he still had some nagging questions.

"So what's the deal with your hands?" Lon asked. "You keep saying they're big and heavy? They look normal to me."

"I've got Hot Hands. The latent hands of a healer."

"You can heal with touches?"

"No. I've just got the hands for it. So they say."

"Who says?"

"The Prince's people. Already I can warm your body and prevent frostbite."

"Oh. That's invaluable."

"Well not now. But maybe in the mountains. In a few days time." Clyde chuckled, and they both shared a smile. The minister's assistant raised his hands and studied them. They were a little bigger than usual Lon decided.

"Are you married?"

"No. The service requires some vows," Clyde said. "Prince's relics are best handled by individuals free of corruption."

Lon smiled again but stayed quiet. He didn't believe the noble deliberately chose celibacy, but his own record was pretty slender so he left it alone and sat down with his back against the tree. For a long time they both said nothing and Clyde fell asleep.

A half-hour later the noble coughed and sputtered and Lon asked him some other questions that he'd conceived during the rest period.

"Clyde. Do you feel different on this island?" he asked. He felt different, but he was different and so there was no comparison. He wondered if Clyde might notice how the air and very smell of this place made a body more energetic, and more enthusiastic if that was possible.

"I do." Clyde raised and lowered his arms. "My hands feel lighter here".

"Have they ever felt that way before?"

"Sometimes. When I pray." The clerk moved his arms up and down feeling their weight, "but never this light."

"How long does it take to make cloudstone umm powerful through prayer?" Lon asked politely.