Chapter Twenty One

Lon enjoyed all three hard-boiled eggs on his march up the hill beside Melcart. He deposited the shells in his pocket because he refused to litter or show any disrespect for his hosts. His guide studied him warily and pointed out the route. They climbed narrow stairs and even more of the bustling community came alive before his eyes.  He saw how the river rushed down the hill and was spanned by two bridges. He remembered seeing another crossing above, opposite the monastery where Clyde was taken.

Washfeigors lined the rocks, soaping and scrubbing, and teenage reptilians worked a fish net through the stiff current. He saw the cattle barns from which Calbian maids carried full pails toward the dairy. Halfway up the hill he saw a lumbering carriage pulled by two donkeys with long droopy ears. The wheeled transport rolled to a stop under some modest shade. Lon saw one of the two elders who'd spoken to him last night exit the buggy. It was Zed, the old-timer with the flashy green and yellow floral robe. He stepped from his wagon and was met by lizard teamsters who pushed an empty two-wheeled cart. 

The top of the stairs met a flagstone pad at the base of a large linden tree. This was not just any tree. It was a Grand Tilia which is a rare variation that has bigger leaves. Under the majestic limbs was a bench where people could sit and admire the view, but behind the trunk was a well-worn dirt path into a shady limestone grotto. Flowers decorated the ground and their many coloured blossoms were alive and buzzed with oversized honeybees.

"So, Atar says you're the future we're trying to protect?" Melcart probed.

Lon met his eyes but didn't reply. He could sense his counterpart felt right at home here and was very familiar with all the ins and outs of this little community. He envied him and wondered what all he knew? Could he also speak the ancient language like the girls? Probably.

"Ashhheeesh," the trendy attendant said, "You don't appear all-tanned? The Toll tans feigors'. You didn't wear that block very long," he challenged, and when Lon remained silent, he tried another tack. "You know some glyphs, right? I know five myself."

Lon said nothing. Glyphs? He was just taking it all in. He heard glass tinkle and turned to see what caused the sound. He found it was the same donkey drawn carriage which was quite unlike anything he'd ever seen before. It was a buggy with oversized wheels that appeared to have been carved from a single tree trunk. The vessel was being unloaded and its tinkling cargo tickled Lon's ears.

Melcart tried a third and final time. "Hey, listen, if we get through this mess today with anything left we can go adventuring this evening."

Lon shot him a glance. What did he mean by that?  

"It's through here," the dark-haired resident led him on a path that bent around behind the majestic linden. Lon had wanted to see what was back there anyway and so he eagerly followed his guide. Once on the other side he exhaled in wonder. He was astounded by the natural beauty of the space. He marveled at how well the tree's foliage made an arched ceiling and formed a bubble of tranquility. The grotto had ivy -covered limestone walls to the north and west. But what intrigued him was how a bubbling brook splashed down the north rock face and filled a small pond rimmed with flowers to the east.

Between himself and the pool was lush carpet of superbly green grass. This dense lawn lay well-shaded by the linden. This mountain grotto felt like a very special place. He marveled at how the water gleamed and how green the grass looked because of the way the stone returned the morning sun. The tiny creek was channeled-in here off the river's mainline he realized and it made a splendid pool before dribbling away off the south-east corner.

The newcomer's eyes were immediately drawn to a red table that stood alone on the grass. The attractive furniture was well fashioned with sturdy iron brackets that allow the legs to be hinged-in for transport. It was the same type of portable surface he'd seen military officers stand around to study maps. Alone on its painted top was a thick red wax candle ensconced in a brass candelabrum.