8 | heritage

∘₊✧──────✧₊∘

∘₊✧──────✧₊∘

DAYS PASSED WITH NO WORD FROM JACOB. Aurora couldn't lie to herself, she was very disappointed that he'd never returned any of her calls from that night, and she was also a bit hurt at his sudden refusal to acknowledge her presence. However, she hadn't bothered to reach out to him again after that night; Rory wasn't the type to beg anyone to be a part of her life, even if she found herself missing Jacob's presence.

She missed him a lot more than she would have thought she would. Any time she found something funny, she wanted to text him about it. Whenever she was bored, the thought crossed her mind that she should see what he was up to. There were several instances throughout the day that made Rory think of him and want to talk to him. But if he was sick, like his father had told Bella, or if he wanted his space for whatever reason, Rory wouldn't push the issue.

Bella, on the other hand, viewed the situation in an entirely different way. She felt they were owed an explanation, and thought it was pretty crappy of Jake to ignore them entirely. Each day she must have called the Black residence at least seven times. The calls weren't always answered, but when they were, it was Billy with some excuse as to why Jake couldn't come to the phone. Rory quickly grew tired of the excuses, and told Bella to leave well enough alone. But Bella didn't know when to stop trying. Sometimes that was her strength; sometimes that was her downfall.

This time, unfortunately, it ended up being the latter. Bella had been beside herself when she called Rory on the phone on the following Friday, crying about a confrontation she'd had with Jake. It turned out that he'd never been sick, after all. She had went to the Black household and saw Jake walking in his yard, sporting a new haircut and tattoo. When she demanded to know why Jake was ignoring the girls and having his dad lie to her, Jake snapped at her. Apparently he'd said he didn't want to be friends with either of them anymore, that it was a waste of his time, and that he never wanted to see them again.

With the way that Bella was crying, Aurora knew that there had to be some truth to her story. But she couldn't help but feel as if Bella was leaving something else out, or if there was something that Rory was missing. The Jacob that Bella had described was nothing like the Jacob that Rory knew. It wasn't her sunshine boy. Something about the whole situation felt off. 

For the most part, though, Rory simply consoled Bella and kept her nose to herself. If she wasn't with her friends or helping Lettie at the small convenience store she owned, then Rory was doing schoolwork or babysitting Frankie. Not exactly a life of thrill, but it was peaceful, even though it did feel as if something was missing now.

However, things took a slight change when Andrew asked her to ride along to the Blacks when he went to buy the dirtbikes off of Jacob, so that he could give him directions. He had never been to the res and didn't know his way around it, and since his GPS wasn't working properly, he thought maybe a small drive would give him a good reason to spend time with his girlfriend's daughter. "Does he know you're coming?" Rory asked skeptically as she and Frankie followed him out to his truck.