10 | special circumstance

∘₊✧──────✧₊∘

∘₊✧──────✧₊∘

TABITHA WAS WATERING HER PLANTS WHEN SHE ARRIVED, WEARING A WIDE-BRIMMED STRAW HAT THAT PROTECTED HER WEATHERED FACE FROM THE SUN. She wasn't surprised when Rory pulled into her driveway, nor was she surprised when her granddaughter began tripping over her words about the vampire she had just seen, and how she knew the legends were true now. The older woman stood patiently while Rory rambled her way into an apology, and it wasn't until tears began to well in the teenager's eyes did Tabitha take action.

"Little dove, it's natural to be a skeptic at these things when you are first learning about them," she assured her. Pulling out her handkerchief, she handed it to Rory as she led the way inside the house. "I am just happy you came to me now."

"I just― I have so many questions," Rory sniffed, sitting down at the kitchen table. "But really I― right now I just want to know if Jake and the others will be okay and― wait, who even are the others? Sam Uley and his cult?"

"Pack," Tabitha corrected idly, bustling around the kitchen as she started to prepare some tea. "Not cult. But yes. In total there are Sam Uley, Jared Cameron, Paul Lahote, Embry Call and Jacob Black so far."

"And will they be okay?"

"They're made for what they do, and they have each other's backs," the elder Mason responded. "Yes, sweetheart, they will be okay. You would know it if they weren't."

"What does that mean?"

Tabitha placed a cup of tea in front of Aurora before sitting down across from her with a cup of her own. "You are connected to them now," she answered. "When one of them is in pain, or in danger, you will know it." Seeing her granddaughter's dumbstruck expression, Tabitha explained further. "Think of it as a sixth sense, so to speak. I've not experienced this myself so there's only so much I'm able to tell you... but I do know that you are connected to the pack. You were meant to help guide them. When one is in need, you will know it."

"Okay, just― back up for a second, okay?" Rory raked her fingers through her hair, trying to take in what her Gran was telling her. "I― I remember you saying before that... that when my wolf is ready, I would be, too. What did you mean?"

"In the past, the chosen Sibyl of our bloodline only ever came into their abilities once the alpha of the spirit warriors phased for the first time." Tabitha dropped a sugar cube into her tea, watching as it made the surface of the tea begin to ripple within the cup. "But you're a special circumstance, little dove. I'll let Jacob explain that part."

"Why Jacob?"

"He'll tell you why." Before Rory had the chance to question her further, Tabitha moved on. "There's something you need to know about the Cullens, Aurora."

A frown pulled at the corners of the younger Mason's mouth. "What is it, Gran?"

"The Cullens are a coven of vampires." Rory had been drinking her tea when Tabitha made that statement, and she accidentally aspirated some of it due to shock. Tabitha waited patiently while her granddaughter coughed the fluid out of her lungs before continuing, as if it hadn't even happened. "They first came to this area in the 1930s, when Ephraim Black was our pack's leader and your great-great aunt― my aunt, Mira Mason― was the pack's Sibyl. Since the Cullens don't prey on humans and instead survive off of animal blood, Mira advised the pack to make a treaty with the coven so they may coexist peacefully. It was agreed that if the Cullens didn't bite any humans or cross onto the tribe's lands, the pack wouldn't attack or expose them."