Chapter 9

Chapter 9
·· ─────── ·𖥸· ─────── · ·
|Ace's POV|

Pranks that involve toying with feelings don't go well with Val. An example is what my stupid cousin just did now.

"Amanda Maxwell, can you explain yourself?" Val fumes. She may be calm on the outside but little do we know, she's full-on rampage inside. She's not the type to be vocal when angry. One look from her, and you're dead. Perfect with the saying, "If looks could kill."

After the phone call she got earlier, she came back to the room and frantically requested me to drive her to the location Amy sent her. I didn't want to see her panic any longer, so I followed in an instant. I couldn't stand the terrified look on her face, the worry in her eyes, and the shakiness in her voice.

She didn't explain to me what the call was all about until we got in the car. It appears that Amy made her rush to the said location as some emergency happened. She may fool Val, but she can't fool me. I know the fact that every unfortunate incident Amy faces, I would always have the first word about it. Kinda odd that Val had grasped the news before me, isn't it?

All that was left was the wonder why Amy did such a thing. But questions were answered the moment we arrived and met up with them.

My cousin stands foolishly in front of us, holding two sets of luxurious long dresses with God-knows-what price they have. Costly and branded stores always pull Amy in, resulting in another cycle of impulsive buying. She tends to not care about the price as she thinks we have plenty of money. That one is true, I admit. Being the son and daughter of two well-known corporate leaders says it all.

Nevertheless, everything in this world is temporary. We should never take things for granted.

"Uhm...okay wait," Amy starts, throwing the pieces of fabric onto Lev's arms. "First of all, I'm really really sorry, Val!" She jumps right into Val, hugging her tightly as she pleads for Val's forgiveness. She breaks off and continues, "I know you have a hangover and all that shit, but Lev here is not helping! I doubt you would come if I directly told you to...since...you know...hangover." Amy's voice gradually goes low, her head bowed in regret.

Val sighs. "Just don't do it again. You scared me there," she finally states the words Amy wants to hear.

"I know. I'm sorry," Amy replies. She rushes back to Val to give her a tight hug, swaying side to side. As they pull each other away, I notice Val slightly lose her balance, either because of the headache she still has or because of their hug earlier. I move closer to her and place my hand on her waist, helping her regain her balance. She utters a soft 'thanks', and in return, I flash her a small smile.

"What are these for, anyway?" she asks my cousin while Lev hands her the two dresses she picked. She eyes them one by one, checking its details on each part.

"It's for the formal party next Friday. You know, for Ace's graduation and his brother's engagement celebration."

Shocked, she turns her head around, a visible confused expression plastered on her face. "Party? Why haven't I heard of it?"

"Huh? I thought Ace already gave you the invitation letter when he came by the penthouse?" Amy glances at me, she looks questioning me whether I did what I was told.

Oh shit.

"Uhm, about that..." I speak. "I forgot to give it to her." I let out an awkward laugh and mutter an apology. I try to search for the letter inside the pocket of my jeans and feel nothing. "I must've left it in the car," I make up an excuse. I'm not even sure if I had carried it all the way to Lev's since I don't remember doing so.