Three.

"Knock me down, it's all in vain"

Esme found it impossible to sleep in her prison cell. It wasn't that she hadn't slept in uncomfortable places before, but the Kyln made her feel unsafe and her mind was racing. 

She knew that she would have to find some way to escape. She wasn't going to spend the rest of her life in prison, that was for sure, but it was almost impossible to escape on her own.

As she was laying awake thinking, a group passed her cell. She could hear them talking before they reached her and when she sat up she saw Gamora being led down the walkway with a knife pressed to her throat. 

"Take her down to the showers. I'll be easier up the blood down there." She heard a guard say. 

Esme couldn't believe that the guards would just let that happen. She wasn't going to let it happen, though. She at least had some morals.

Without thinking, she sat up and left her cell. She followed the group of men down the halls of the prison. She kept a good distance behind them and was completely silent. It was a skill she had picked up in her years of thieving. 

When the group reached the showers she realized that she had no idea what she was doing. She had no plan to try and stop them and there wasn't much she could do.

"Gamora, consider this a death sentence for your crimes against the galaxy." One of the men sneered while pushing her up against a wall. The man lifted his knife and Gamora gritted her teeth.

"You dare." A deep voice came from beside Esme. She followed the voice to stare at the strange-looking man who had come up beside her. "You know who I am, yes?" He asked the group who was now trembling in fear. 

"You're Drax the Destroyer," one confirmed.

Esme, on the other hand, had no idea who this man and now she was not only interested in helping Gamora, but also seeing how this played out.

"Quill!" Esme turned around to see Rocket running after Peter who crept up to the other side of the doorway. 

"What are you doing here?" Esme whisper yelled. He ignored her and kept his focus on the scene in front of them.

"And you know why they call me this." The man continued as he slowly walked towards the group and Gamora. 

"You slayed dozens of Ronan's minions." The same man from before answered. 

"Ronan murdered my wife, Ovvete, and my daughter, Camaria." Drax explained.

Esme now understood. This man wanted revenge and he was going to take it out on Gamora. 

A look of guilt and grief overcame Gamora's face as he continued his monologue. "He slaughtered them where they stood. And he laughed!" He yelled into the face of the man who flinched and hunched over. "Her life is not yours to take. He killed my family. I shall kill one of his in return."

"Of course, Drax. Here, I..." The man handed his knife over. 

Gamora sprung into action and knocked out the two men holding her in place. She then held a blade to other's throats. "I'm no family to Ronan or Thanos." She spat and moved the blades away, dropping them and maintaining a cold stare. "I'm your only hope at stopping him."

Drax didn't listen to her words and grabbed her by the throat. He pushed the green assassin against the wall. 

Esme jumped and moved towards them. It was now or never.