Twenty-One.

Evan's POV

"Go on in, sweetie" I hear dads voice outside of my hospital room, and look over to see the door push open.

Shay steps into the room, and freezes when she sees me looking at her. A surprised expression surely on my face. Meanwhile, her face is blank and expressionless, but I can still see the dullness in her blue eyes, and the weight she's lost the past few months underneath the large shirt she has on.

After a few minutes of silence, she finally speaks, since I have no idea what to say right now. But her words pierce me like a knife. "I know you don't need me. But I need to make sure you're okay."

"Sasha.." my expression softens at her words, as she uses my own words against me. I definitely deserve that.

"No, Evan. Now that I see that you're just fine, I'm leaving." She turns and starts to open the door, when words finally come to me.

"You drove all that way just to make sure I'm okay, and then leave?" I question, and she turns on her heels to glare at me.

"Did you seriously fucking think I wouldn't come? And why do you think I would even want to stay? Yes, I want you to be okay, but no, I don't want to fucking be around you!"

"Then fucking leave! Clearly I'm just fine!" I yell back.

"Right, because you don't fucking need me. Why the fuck did I even come? Stupid me for still loving you." She yells back, shocking herself and me.

"You still love me?"

"Of course I fucking still love you, you idiot." She rolls her eyes, crossing her arms over her chest.

The next words shouldn't come out of my mouth, but my stupid jealous ass couldn't stop them from coming out anyway. "I heard you've been sleeping around again, so how should I know if you did or not?"

"Are you fucking serious, Evan?! You don't get to judge me! You broke up with me! Not the other way around!" She screams at me.

"I was hurting, Sasha!" I yell and she scoffs.

"So you had to hurt me too?" She all but whispers, giving up the fight. My features soften, and I run a hand through my hair.

"I'll go to therapy. Like you and Colton wanted. I'll do it. For you, Shay. But most importantly, for myself." She looks stunned by my words, but I mean every one of them. "I promise you. I will make myself better."

"Are you serious?" She asks, still stunned.

"Very serious. I won't let myself hurt you again. I won't. I swear to you. This is so toxic. I have to change. You're the most important person in my life, Shay. I want you by my side, as I work through all my shit. Please." I beg her, reaching my hands out for her. She steps closer to me, and puts her hands in mine.

"I'll be by your side, but only as a friend. I can't be with you right now. Not until you've proved that you're working on yourself. I want you to be better for yourself first. But I will be next to you the whole time." She tells me, squeezing my hands.

"Thank you, Shay. And I didn't say it earlier, but I still love you too. I always will. I'm so sorry for what I said." She smiles softly as tears roll down her cheeks.

"I know. As long as you mean it, we'll be okay." She whispers, placing a kiss on my forehead, and dropping my hands from hers. "The others want to see you, so I'm going to go."

"Shay-" she cuts me off by holding up her hand.

"I'm not leaving. I'll be in the waiting room. I promise." She reassures me. I nod, and she leaves the room.

——

Shay's POV

"How did it go?" Riley asks, as I sit next to her, Cole on her other side waiting for my response. Colton and Ariel are in the room with Evan now.

"We heard yelling." He comments with a frown.

"Yeah, there was yelling. But after I admitted how much he hurt me, he came to the decision himself to go to therapy for his issues. He asked me to be by his side through it, and I promised I would, but as friends only. Until he shows that he's making progress, I don't think I can risk my heart being broken by him again." I explain with a sigh.

"I'm so proud of you. You're so strong, babe." Riley smiles making me smile too.

"Thank you. That definitely wasn't easy. I did not expect that conversation to go the way that it did, with how it started. Especially with the yelling back and forth. But, I think if we're really going to be able to make it work with us again, I need to go to a few sessions of therapy with him and we work out our problems too."

"That's actually a really good idea." Cole says. "It shows that not only is he putting in effort but you are too, even if he's the one that messed up. Showing you want to work as much as he does will truly help you both out in the long run."

"Definitely. You guys need to get down to the deepest parts of your relationship and open all of that up, even the past, so you can get over all of that. Your inability to have a relationship up until now, and his trust issues from Jade cheating on him. Plus he's still mourning. He needs to get that out too." Riley adds in.

"I agree completely. We need to do this together if we want to ever work out. I'm going to look into different therapists, and talk to him about it too, to get his input. I want him to be comfortable with whoever we choose to see as well. I want to make us work, without forcing it to work."