Permenant

A few months have passed since Genma and I had argued and we haven't seen much of each other. He's been working the gate instead of taking missions, and proctor for the Chunin exams. I've been on missions almost nonstop and I've barely seen anyone. I asked to be busy though, hoping it would keep me distracted, but today as I returned to the village a certain chestnut brown-haired man would be working.

I wasn't sure if he was avoiding me or giving me space, but either way, I missed him. I hated myself more and more at the fact that my mind drifted to thoughts of him. My body still felt his soft touches as well as his harsh thrusts. He was everything to me and now I didn't even see him. My heartfelt empty and alone but I wouldn't just go running back to him.

I huffed as I kicked a rock down the path, hands in my pocket, and a frown on my face. He'd ask me about the bandages around my waist and likely inquire as to why I was two days late in my return. A messenger hawk was sent ahead to inform the Hokage of my injury, but I wasn't sure if she'd told anyone.

The gate insight I could hear Genma laughing and my heart fluttered and my frown deepened. I sighed and stood tall as I stepped through the gate. Genma was sitting with Izumo, Kotetsu standing next to the desk with Anko and Kurenai. Asuma and Kakashi were walking up to the small group and I began to walk on, ignoring them entirely.

"Y/n!" Of course one of them had to notice me. I put on the best smile I could muster and turned around to wave to Kurenai, "I was wondering when you'd be back."

"Oh," I began as I stood before her, fighting to keep my eyes from cutting to Genma. "I had a slight delay in getting back." I wore the longest shirt I had packed, but I still had three or four inches of bandages that could be seen.

"Are you okay?" Kakashi asked as he stopped behind me and I shifted to make a small circle with the group.

"I'm fine," I gave him a childish grin and clasped my hands behind my back.

"The red tint says otherwise," the new voice came from behind me and my head whipped back and my hair fanned as I did.

My eyes met Genma's before I glanced down at my side, I had started bleeding again, "Dammit." I groaned.

"What happened?" Genma asked as he moved closer.

I was so lost in his presence that I didn't notice everyone slowly retreat and leave us alone. "Katana." My one-word answer made his senbon droop as he frowned down at me.

"I thought you had an escort mission?" He seemed concerned, which a friend can be, but his eyes were filled with worry and I saw his hand twitch as if he wanted to reach for me.

"I did," I replied, "we were attacked just outside the gates of their home. It was three on one and they all used swords. Since they were able to get close before showing their hand, I was at a disadvantage until I was able to put some distance between us." That's exactly how it happened. "The old woman who is their healer did the best she could, but I need stitches, and I couldn't do it myself." Somehow the sword had swiped my back, my side, and my stomach, without slicing through me.

"I'll walk you to the hospital," Genma didn't wait for me to respond. Instead, he pulled my pack from me and began walking towards the hospital.

I stood there with my mouth hanging open as I watched him walk away. Someone cleared their throat and I saw Kakashi shoo me forward. I narrowed my eyes angrily and stomped off after Genma who had paused to wait for me. I walked by quickly and he fell in step beside me. My side hurt, my feet hurt and I could feel a headache coming on.

"I'm glad you're okay," Genma's voice was low and he had his gaze set ahead of us.

I remained quiet for a moment, deciding on what I should say, "I was scared." I admitted in a soft whisper.