Chapter 2

~Timeskip a couple of months~

"Hey, Izumi-san. Could you write down some notes about the boys? I need to wash the boy's jerseys," Kiyoko asked the silent girl.

Izumi just nodded softly in reply.

After Kiyoko left to complete her duty, Izumi went over to her backpack to pull out her notebook and pen so she could take down notes. It had been 6 and a half months since she joined the boy's volleyball club and the interhigh preliminaries were tomorrow.

Coach Ukai was working the boys to the bone and a couple of the first years were thinking about quitting the club.

The team had lost the previous tournament a couple of months ago and morale was quite low. And to top it all off, the third years have left the club to study for college exams.

Izumi sat on the bench and watched as the boys spiked, received, serve, and set. The boys were all fairly good players. Nishinoya is an amazing Libero, Tanaka is very energetic and never gives up, Daichi has solid receives, Sugawara is very in tune with the team, and Asahi was still as tall and strong as ever.

But...

"Asahi-senpai," she called out.

The Ace flinched and slowly turned to face the manager who had addressed him.

"Y-yes," he stuttered.

"You aren't jumping as high as you normally do. Also, you seem to be shivering more than usual today. Is there something else making you nervous besides Daichi becoming angry?" she asked bluntly.

Every boy froze.

Asahi is an amazing player. He can jump extremely high and has a strong spike which made him a very reliable ace. The only bad thing about him is that he was very shy and insecure.

"Woah, Izumi-san," Tanaka shouted at the girl, "You're way to honest for your own good."

"Sorry, I will try to be more considerate next time. Also, sorry Daichi-senpai," she replied, "Anyway, Asahi-senpai, what's the matter today."

"Yeah," Nishinoya chimed in, "You usually are a coward, but today you are a big coward."

"S-sorry," Asahi chuckled nervously while scratching his head, "It's just that the first team we're playing is Date Tech and I heard that they are a powerhouse school."

Izumi just nodded.

"Yes, they are," she replied bluntly, "The odds of us winning are very slim. Date Tech is known for their read blocking and their serves. I heard that they recently recruited two first years who are extremely tall and talented at blocking."

The boys just stared at her dumbfounded.

"YOU AREN'T SUPPOSED TO SAY THAT!" Tanaka shouted, "HOW ARE WE SUPPOSED TO WIN IF EVEN OUR OWN MANAGER DOESN'T BELIEVE IN US."

Though the other boys didn't show it, they all agreed. Now, they feel more discouraged than they had before.

"It isn't that I don't believe in you," Izumi said in response, "I just said the odds of us winning are slim. However."

The team looked up at the girl in interest.

"After working with this team for 6 months, I am sure you can do anything," she said. After her short speech, she stood up from her seat and headed towards the gym entrance to pack her stuff and go home. She stopped in front of the doorway.

"I shall be going home early today," she turned her head towards the still frozen club members, "Make sure you don't overdo it."

A couple moments after the girl disappeared, waterfalls of tears began pouring out of the boy's eyes. They all began bawling and cheering about how they will pass the first round.